It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we over-medicating our children?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Too true Jezebel...too true.

Bit like Micheal Jackson funding a Child and Youth Protection Service...

...oppsie...that was naughty...

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   
well with the recent thread on manwifes..and manginers

i would think we are over medicating our adults never mind our children...

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Environmental influences.
The majority of researchers view family and other environmental factors as influencing the onset of this illness.

This statement is a blatant and incorrect generalization about the opinions of the "majority" of researchers. I would appreciate seeing the meta-analysis data on that, if such a statement were to be true. Additionally when it says that environmental factors are influencing the "onset" of this illness, this is describing when the problems were first noticed/experienced. However, this does not imply that the environmental stressor CAUSED the illness in the first place. If that were true, any environmental stressor (during any time of life) could have potentially brought about the onset.

Research is designed to explore human behavior and advance the field's ability to care for children & their families who are suffering from the psychosocial effects of mental illness. There are many treatments available to chose from, as research informs practice. This is analogous to non-experimental surgical procedures. Research and appropriate training demonstrates that the particular surgical procedure eliminates the pain.

In terms of ADHD, there are many empirically supported treatments. Medication is one possible treatment that the medical community is able to offer. The licensed psychological community is able to provide empirically-supported treatments as well. Of particular help are treatments that are behaviorally-focused.

Medication can potentially be pushed by those who prescribe it, however don't throw out the baby with the bathwater!

Lets look at this next quote-

Family discord, sibling harassment, physical, sexual or emotional abuse can contribute to the development of ADHD or intensify its symptoms. Ongoing stress resulting from a parent or family member's psychiatric or addictive illness may also make a child more vulnerable to the disorder.

This is written in such a way as to imply that ADHD is brought about only by family problems. While significant, there are many other environmental stressors that could also precipitate onset. Just a couple months of poor academic performance due to a covert learning disorder (e.g. Mathematics Disorder) can bring about significant behavioral and interpersonal stressors.

There is a great deal of research available on this topic, unfortunately the quoted article is misrepresenting the "majority" of researchers.

And btw-- I fully agree with the statement that the pharmaceutical companies are profiting like mad from the phenomenon of over-medication. I believe it is an elicited reaction, however the folks who NEED the meds really NEED the meds. The meds issue is very serious, and multiple opinions should definitely be sought prior to going on any medication.

MK

[Edited on 20-10-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Blade Runner
well with the recent thread on manwifes..and manginers

i would think we are over medicating our adults never mind our children...

The difference is that an adult (provided they are mentally coherent) overmedicates him/her self. They make the decision to take that pill...a child, on the other hand, has no choice. He doesn't know what the pill is, he only knows that his parents or school are telling him he must take it.

Adults are free to medicate themselves all they want, with whatever "medication" they choose. As long as it doesn't harm anyone else (including their children), live and let live.

Kids are kids, being told that they must be adults, instead. Why are we in such a hurry for them to grow up? I could have played flag football and built clubhouses 24/7 when I was a kid. I wish I had 1/2 of that energy now!

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Here is a good resource for the treatment of ADHD, but it is most certainly not complete.

www.mftsource.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join