It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal mine explosion in Kentucky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
A mine in the state of Kentucky has exploded, killing five workers trapped inside. One man, found near the entrance, made it out alive. The five bodies were recovered one kilometer underground.

www.cnn.com
There is no official explanation for why the mine exploded as yet, but experts say that it could possibly be attributed to a build-up of methane gas and coal dust, which was then exposed to a spark.

The victims were identified as Amon Brock of Closplint; Jimmy D. Lee of Wallins Creek; George Petra of Kenvir; and Paris Thomas Jr. and Roy Middleton, both of Evarts, according to the Kentucky governor's office.

The blast occurred in Holmes Mill, on the Virginia border, at Darby Mine No. 1 about 1 a.m., McKinney [administrator for the Mine Safety and Health Administration's Coal Mine Safety and Health division] said. Because it was during a maintenance shift, no coal was being mined at the time, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The total number of miners killed in the U.S. in 2005 was 22. And already there is a toll of 31?

This death toll has been blamed on more inexperienced workers working longer hours because of an increase in the demand for coal.

I am surprised at this number. I have not heard anything about any of this down here. But of course, when something bad happens in China, the whole world points the finger!

A bill in Senate has been recently passed to make coal mining safer. And although it could possibly have prevented deaths in previous accidents, it sounds like those miners did not have a chance. The sad thing is, they should have had one.

[edit on 21/5/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

A bill in Senate has been recently passed to make coal mining safer. And although it could possibly have prevented deaths in previous accidents, it sounds like those miners did not have a chance.

I stand corrected. Of the 5 miners that died, only two died in the explosion. The other three perished from inhaling toxic fumes, thanks to faulty breathing equipment that the above bill is supposed to address.
The oxygen supply should last one hour, but was only breathable for 5 minutes in the miners cases.

new topics

join