It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

passion of christ vs. da vinci code

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
it appeared, just a while back when Mel Gibson made The Passion of Christ contrversy over the public viewing christ's final hours horrific. Some dude died in the cinema. People were cashing in off a dead guys 2000- year old turturous death.
You'd think that would push the pope or some cardinal at least to pursue action agianst religious propaganda like this.

Now this movie, the Da Vinvci code has brought more seculation to the christianic faith. Although it is said the movie is based off fictional events they still want you to believe. They are changing peoples perception of god. Now he is just some other man with the same needs and desires. what with the getting on with ol' maggie and all.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
and before that was
The Last Temptation of Christ.

before that was
Holy Blood Holy Grail ( or across the pond The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail)

and before that was

Jesus Christ Superstar: The Rock Opera.

Im surprised they never tried a HBHG movie. although there were several made for TV
things in th UK.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
it appeared, just a while back when Mel Gibson made The Passion of Christ contrversy over the public viewing christ's final hours horrific. Some dude died in the cinema. People were cashing in off a dead guys 2000- year old turturous death.
You'd think that would push the pope or some cardinal at least to pursue action agianst religious propaganda like this.

Now this movie, the Da Vinvci code has brought more seculation to the christianic faith. Although it is said the movie is based off fictional events they still want you to believe. They are changing peoples perception of god. Now he is just some other man with the same needs and desires. what with the getting on with ol' maggie and all.

The Passion - to believers - was a horrific thing. Christ didn't just come from Heaven to die for us, He came here to pay the price of our sins. The Passion was exteme and graphic in the movie because Mel Gibson wanted us to be impacted by the immensity of the act. The Bible also discusses the extreme torments of Christ, but not in such a graphic nature. Did Mel and the movie studio make money? Sure they did. The message of the movie was inherently Christian. I was an Army medic and a veteran. The scourging made ME uncomfortable. It's supposed to. A book by a Doctor Miller called The Theology of The Passion of the Christ offers a detailed, practically scene-by-scene theological analysis of the movie. I recommend it.

The Catholic church speaks out when they believe that Catholic values are being attacked or if they fear that a movie or book may influence people who may not understand our faith. Not speaking out would mean that the Church is implicitly acknowledging the work or is too afraid to challenge it. Other movies - like those listed by Stalking Wolf - have either been challenged, disavowed, or the subject of an apologetic. This is apologetic in the Greek sense of a defense, not an admitting of wrongdoing and asking pardon. I actually liked the Last Temptation of Christ. Christ WAS living as a man. He was terrified about His Passion - He wept blood, He asked God to let this cup pass...while it has absolutely NO basis in Catholic (or any Christian) theology, it did let people consider the human side of Christ and the power of temptation. If memory serves, the Rock Operas actually helped Christianity to some extent - especially influencing the 'Born Again Christian' movement according to some sociologists .... if I can find the articles, I will post links. In any event, the Church in America (especially) was very socially permissive and culturally looser...I think that this is one of the reason the Catholic church in the US has had some of the problems we have (but that's a topic for another thread....)

HBHG - once you've punctured the Priory of Scion business and account for the fact that the Templars mostly traded one cassock for another, it just doesn't hold a lot of weight. Like the DaVinci Code, the Church has spoken out strongly about the book because it is inherently and overtly Anti-Christian ... and especially anti-Catholic. The Davinci Code movie is considered a major threat because of the highly suggestible, shockingly ingnorant society we live in. When you factor in the billions of non=readers in the world, this movie poses a threat - which is what Dan Brown intended all along.

Still with me? Well, thank you. I appreciate your kind attention, and hope you enjoyed my perspective.

God Bless....

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Ii watched the passion of christ in the cinema, after watching I vowed Ii would never go and watch another like that again, I felt sickened inside (Yes I am a Christain)....

I have not read nor will I be going to the cinema to watch the Davinci code, to me both are totaly fictional - not true... so Not wasting my money on a book or a film which has more holes in it that a cheese grator....

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by shantyman
The Passion - to believers - was a horrific thing. Christ didn't just come from Heaven to die for us, He came here to pay the price of our sins. The Passion was exteme and graphic in the movie because Mel Gibson wanted us to be impacted by the immensity of the act. The Bible also discusses the extreme torments of Christ, but not in such a graphic nature.

Im sure that Jesus intended his followers to focus on His death...I mean to really dig down and watch hours of him being tortured so that everyone can fill worthy of his love cause now they relate or at least "understand" from far off perspective that what he did was for their own good.

In fact the added emotion really gets one riled up to then want to convert everyone else to Christianity and to fight all evils that caused the pain to Christ...creating heaven on earth.

Now that I have gotten passed my somewhat sarcastic point (trying to drive home a point, of which I know now is not hitting the message I want to send.)

But here you go, from the sacred scriptures themselves...from Paul, the Jewish Rabbi who created modern day Christianity..."What good is it if he died, my faith is useless...its his resurrection that did something for me."
This is a paraphrase, but you hard cores should no your Bible enough to recognize this passage.
If not start reading your book.

Point of his statement? It appears that he could have went through twice as much hell, and you could have watched the movie twice as long, and felt his sufferings...but if he didnt rise again...your money would have been wasted, except for the buttery popcorn, if thats your thing.

Now you catch on? One second in the movie devoted to him rising, which according to Paul was the main point.
Seems like this isn't as Christian of a movie as one would think...

On a side note, I think he had some good publicity set up for the movie...

Leave you with one more quote from the rabbi Paul...
"Think what is lovely pure & excellent, dwell on these things."

Its all good, to each there own...enjoy the post!

peace

dalen

[edit on 25-5-2006 by dAlen]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
They are changing peoples perception of god.

Good.

Maybe it will spur people to start looking a little deeper rather blindly follow their Sunday surmons or accepting than the cultural norms and stereotypes that we all are familiar with regarding Christianity, and they'll pick up a few books or read a website like this and scratch the surface.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by VelvetSplash]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I find it very interesting how so many people bashed "the Passion" for being excessively violent, bloody and gory and yet these same people can go out and watch a movie like "Hostel" or "Wolf Creek" and give it the thumbs up........to me, this speaks volumes. People reject or can't deal with God because they don't like feeling culpabale for the wrong they do in life.....pride is their downfall.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The violence aspect of the Passions of Christ is something I think reflects on the audience in a variety of ways.

The fact that the symbol of Christianity is the cross, which, whilst it has many other symbolic meanings outside of Christianity, but most people would associate with the slow, painful murder of 'the Saviour', for which human kind is meant to be forever indebted.

It's an interesting psychological dynamic, of a Christian audience watching their saviour being tortured graphically, and at length on the big screen - It's almost like a form of self-punishment.

This idea always makes me think of Orwell's '1984', and 'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — for ever.'

[edit on 25-5-2006 by VelvetSplash]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
**slightly off topic**

i'm sorry, but nothing will ever beat The Life of Brian. An orgasm of blasphemy, yet considered on of the best comedy movies of all time.

Brian: What will they do to me?
Ben the Prisoner: Oh you'll probably get away with crucifixion.
Brian: CRUCIFIXION?
Ben the Prisoner: Yeah, first offense

me like,
mr Jones

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
It's an interesting psychological dynamic, of a Christian audience watching their saviour being tortured graphically, and at length on the big screen - It's almost like a form of self-punishment.

That's how it would appear from a non-Christian perspective.
But from my Catholic perspective it was a film of reaffirmation, a wake-up call, a reminder, a humbling experience to say the least. A way to reconnect with the core belief of my faith. I spent most of that movie the night I saw it holding back tears in my seat. I wanted to get up on that screen and help Him. I wanted to scream at the people that were hurting him. Yes, it made me squirm in my seat. Yes, it made me really uncomfortable...but then again crucifixion isn't a barrel of monkeys....it's horrific.

So why do people get riled up seeing an innocent man nailed to a cross, but love going into a flick seeing a man take a chainsaw, slice someone's leg off at the kneecap, hang them from a ceiling hook in their back and proceed to shove rocksalt into their newly sawed off appendage, and then rave about how wild it was when they left the theater? Why? There have been way more gorier, violent flicks then "The Passion".

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance

But from my Catholic perspective it was a film of reaffirmation, a wake-up call, a reminder, a humbling experience to say the least.

Please refer to my post above in connection to your connection feeling, wake up call, etc.

Also Velvet splash view point would appear that way to a Christian persepective to...if they had a wake up call.

peace

dalen

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Jesus really puts it all into perspective, I mean after all he died for the sins of mankind, Most people just die because they can no longer stay alive...

so yeah.

If only Jesus would've fought back Bruce Lee style, what a movie that would've been.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
How many people who watched the Passion could honestly say that they would willingly go through that for someone they loved? My take on the movie wasn't so much that He suffered or how much He suffered. It was WHY He suffered. It was done out of love.

[edit on 5/25/2006 by darkelf]

posted on Jun, 30 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

Originally posted by zerotolerance

But from my Catholic perspective it was a film of reaffirmation, a wake-up call, a reminder, a humbling experience to say the least.

Please refer to my post above in connection to your connection feeling, wake up call, etc.

Also Velvet splash view point would appear that way to a Christian persepective to...if they had a wake up call.

peace

dalen

Sir,

I know and respect a number of Jews who are biblical scholars. I know and respect a number of Christians who are biblical scholars. Perhaps you have not experienced many of the latter, but with your 'holier than thou' attitude, it doesn't suprise me.

Paul's conversion experience reads pretty clearly to me - but that's only if you accept the New Testament. Historically, it is clear that he was one of - if not THE - moving force behind Christian evangelization in the Roman world. This 'Rabbi' wasn't tending to a Jewish flock - he was bringing the Word to the gentiles of Asia Minor and Greece. Since when do Rabbis preach to the Gentile?

The Passion was an act of faith for Mel Gibson - a man who has very strong and conservative beliefs. It is considered to be doctrine to Roman Catholics that the Passion was an act of redemption for all mankind. In His great sacrifice of pain, Christ assumed the pain of sin for all mankind. You don't have to believe it. Just be kind enough to disagree with a degree of courtesy. Your sarcasm does not become your avatar. No Jewish scholar I know would be so crass as to be so dismissive of someone's faith.

top topics

join