It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano Free Electricity Generators, and Your Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
By developing nano-piezo-technology, they're nearly capable of utilizing miniature power plants for powering nano-devices, and the stated goal is even for bio-implantable devices.

Piezoelectricity is electricity produced by mechanical pressure on certain crystals (notably quartz or Rochelle salt). This effect is known as transduction, which is the converting from one form of energy to another. Piezo has many traditional uses (powering watches for example), and provides free power in small devices. This new technology may harness those

Described in the April 14th issue of the journal Science, the nanogenerators produce current by bending and then releasing zinc oxide nanowires which are both piezoelectric and semiconducting. The research was sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the NASA Vehicle Systems Program and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and in participation with the National Nanotechnology Initiative. The invention was developed by Zhong Lin Wang, a Regents Professor in the School of Materials Science and Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology.
www.nano.gov...

Reading this new finding reminds me of when I was in electronics engineering school. When we were learning about piezo, my idea was to use piezo-technology on massive scales to produce free power plants. Dr. Met and my other classmates found the idea kind of funny because of the small current produced by a typical (tiny) piezo crystal, but my rationale was to build massive-area thin partitioned layers, on a area scale such as a football field, and have numerous stacked layers, with the entire stack on a pivoting platform base with massive actuators to keep the field moving and producing non-stop electricity.

www.gatech.edu...
A scanning electron microscope image (top) shows an array of zinc oxide nanowires. Middle image shows a schematic of how an AFM tip was used to bend nanowires to produce current. Bottom image depicts output voltages produce by the array as it is scanned b 300 dpi JPG = 473.64 KB

Other ways of moving or bending the piezo could work too, or even a massive compression plate. Eventually I figured, that if its possible, I dont see why they wouldnt have thought of that when they first started realizing the potential of PZT, therefore, since it isnt yet being done, its not possible, if you know what I mean. The same would apply to electric cars, having a massive piezo block under the hood. If the System isnt all that corrupt, maybe it really wasnt possible utilizing the old fabrication methods. If thats the case, then utilizing nano zinc oxide fabrication, like Zhong Lin Wang did here, it may be the key to my idea, because the key to his discovery is the sensitivity of his piezo technology. It apparently can generate more effective power from simple shaking, whereas old PZT materials would need more complex bending or compression methods, and probably generate less power per volume.

Back on point, this new invention will rapidly accelerate injectable nanotechnology neural implants, and also the related NBIC cells, which are key pieces to what "trans-humanists" call the biorevolution. The biorevolution is the rapid transformation, or evolution, into post-humanism. The 2 critical pieces to this revolution (or re-evolution) are super artificial intelligence computing, and nanotechnology or more specifically NBIC technology.
transhumanism.org... extre nal link

www.nsf.gov...

DARPA and NASA say they will have their super-AI systems online between 2010-2012, if they dont already, and those systems should have the power to drastically intensify the United States governments stated biorevolution and collective society goals. That turning point is the NBIC technology, which is the convergence of nano/biological/information/cognitive sciences all into one new form of synthetic living cells, to transform us from the inside out. Before they can fully harness their biorevolution, they must perfect standard intravenously injectable nanotechnology neural implants, and with this new piezo-nano science its all right around the corner.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Exter nal link
Exter nal link
[url=http://blog.myspace.com/index

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Exter nal link
Exter nal link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Though attractive for use inside the body because zinc oxide is non-toxic, the nanogenerators could also be used wherever mechanical energy hydraulic motion of seawater, wind or the motion of a foot inside a shoe is available. The nanowires can be grown not only on crystal substrates, but also on polymer-based films. Use of flexible polymer substrates could one day allow portable devices to be powered by the movement of their users.

Georgia Tech Professor Zhong Lin Wang holds a sample nanowire array that can be used to power nanometer scale devices. (Georgia Tech Photo: Gary Meek) 300 dpi JPG = 1.57 MB
www.gatech.edu...

The next step in the research will be to maximize the power produced by an array of the new nanogenerators. Wang estimates that they can convert as much as 30 percent of the input mechanical energy into electrical energy for a single cycle of vibration. That could allow a nanowire array just 10 microns square to power a single nanoscale device if all the power generated by the nanowire array can be successfully collected.

Our bodies are good at converting chemical energy from glucose into the mechanical energy of our muscles, Wang noted. These nanogenerators can take that mechanical energy and convert it to electrical energy for powering devices inside the body. This could open up tremendous possibilities for self-powered implantable medical devices.

Sources:
www.gatech.edu...
www.nanotechwire.com...
www.nsf.gov...
www.nsf.gov...

More:
nano.cancer.gov...
www.mse.gatech.edu...

[edit on 18-5-2006 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Very interessting, will have to read more when ive got time.

IgnoranceIsntBlisss thanks for posting

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Dr. Zhong Lin Wang's Email Response To My Free Power Plant Theory:

My 1st Email:

Hello,
I recently found out about your discovery, and I find it very intriguing. I have a few questions:

One, reading the articles I could find on your invention, it reminded me of when I was in electronics engineering school. When we were learning about piezo science, I had the idea to do piezo on a massive scale, such as the area of a football field, for massive free power production. Dr. Met, my teacher, didnt seem too interested in the idea. I had a few ideas about how to do it, such as massive area but thin partitioned layers, on a special base for bending or compressing the entire field. It seemed that if done on a large enough scale, with enough stacked layers, it could potentially power a town or city.

It seemed like a good idea, but I eventually decided that since it isnt already being done, in this late age, that there really must be some limitations to the piezo crystals. Are you aware of anyone ever trying this, and if it cant be done with traditional crystals do you think there is a potential for your new technology to do this?

Two, I found your new zinc oxide nanowires, very fascinating in regards to the fact that theyre both piezo and semiconductor. What, if any, potentials can you see in them providing fundamental more arenas for coming nanoprocessing technologies?

Three, is it possible that your new findings may rapidly accelerate the development of either nano-based neural implants, or NBIC convergance cell technologies? If so, how soon can we expect such possibilities based on your new contibution to the ongoing drive for these technologies?

His 1st Response:

thank you for being interested in our work. Here are some short responses

Yes, people has done it using PZT single crystals. But this material
and the technology has many liminations.

Yes, This is the first example of coupling semiconducting and piezoelectric and it opens a new field in nanotechnology

I am doing some research in this area (NBIC) and will have some data later

With best regards

Yours

ZL Wang

My 2nd Email:
Thanks for your rapid response. My only remaining question is do you think it could be possible for large scale 'free' power using either the old crystal technology or your new nano zinc oxide technology? I'm unsure if you meant PZT has the limitations, or if you meant your technology has the limitations still.

His 2nd Response:
it will depend on what is your definition of large scale 'free' power. I am looking into the applications of self-powered nanosystems for biosensing, biodetection, self-powered cell phone, walkman, some small scale power generator for defence applications.

My Final Email:
Basically, producing the peizo material on a massive scale, with proper layering/cell techniques, to build a massive generator unit say the size of a building (or maybe the size of an engine block to power an electric car). In theory, if at all possible, the only 'fuel' required would be the mechanisim that shakes/bends/compresses the entire unit or groups of cells. If so there's probably several ways to design the foundation mechanism so that it may 'shake' continuously with little needed fuel once started, therefore producing 'free' electricity. In an automotive situtaion the vehicle would theoretically only need to staart moving from its batteries and then the vibrations would get the energy producing again.

It's seems to me that a key advantage to your discovery is in it's sensitivity?

Dear Mr. ******
thank you for your information. The technology we offered have advantage for nano-scale application, biodevices. It has a long way to meet the need of large-scale power generation.

With best regards
ZL

It would seem that my theory is entirely plausible, just ahead of its time so to speak, at least on the record. It would be a seriously massive and expensive operation at this stage of the game, but after proper development it could probably be done, but it probably won't be unless some force takes away all of the greed that dominates the economy.

top topics

join