It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haydens Stance On Wiretaping And Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Nominated CIA director, Michael Hayden, said in an interview that he would be open to changing the laws on eavesdropping on U.S. soil to allow this administration warrentless surveillance. He also shows that they are trying not to bring this to court because of the possibility of exposing the methods being used. He also proposes to possibly change FISA (1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act). His nomination is coming under heavy act being a former NSA director and military ties.

abcnews.go.com
WASHINGTON May 10, 2006 (AP)— CIA director-nominee Michael Hayden has told at least one Democratic senator that he may be open to changing the law that governs eavesdropping on U.S. soil to allow the Bush administration's warrantless surveillance.

The 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act established a system requiring the national security agencies to first seek approval from a secretive federal court before monitoring Americans. Bush's program skirted those rules.

Hayden, an Air Force four-star general and former NSA director, and other government officials had previously said that they did not ask Congress to change the surveillance law because the debate would reveal U.S. intelligence techniques. Gradually, the White House has come around, saying it is committed to working with Congress on legislation that would write the president's eavesdropping authority into statute.

Durbin said Hayden told him: "With all the publicity that has surrounded this program, we may be closer to the possibility of asking for a change in FISA."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting isn't it? FISA looks like it may be going out the door if we aren't watching. Personally I think if this guy gets in its another heavy straw on the camels breaking back. It's pretty worrying for this guy to even have a chance at this given his stance and previous backround.

Related News Links:
www.chicagotribune.com

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It's not the fact that he's a general that concerns me, it isn't even the fact that he was head of the NSA that worries me. What worries me is his support of illegal spying on US citizens. The fact that the man supports the illegal invasion of citizens who've done nothing wrong is a bit concerning when you consider how much influence and power he will have.

The military background I see as actually a bonus on his resume, but illegal wiretapping makes me feel like I'm watching the X-Files again.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hayden is a very political guy. He knows that his skills are going to the highest bigger. You note the arrogance involved in the fact tat he's still on active duty during this nomination process. This oversight is supposed to be a harmless mistake, but it telegraphs much more. It implies that the political establishment really doesn't care what the cattle are thinking.

It's this very kind of thing that drove me in to being an author. Speaking up has come with its own price tag, but I'm glad I've done it.

I do think Hayden's nomination will sail through. In spite of what they say, Democrats won't want to waste their limited political capital on this guy. they're going to keep their powder dry 'til after the November elections. For now, that means the GOP has a free hand to shuffle the cureaucracy like a deck of marked cards. Deal 'em any way you want 'em.

new topics

join