It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disable RFID chips?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Just skimmed through this article and I wondered how one can destroy these chips.
www.rense.com...

Like perhaps if you stuck your pants in the Microwave oven for 10 seconds, or extreme heat (without burning your duds), or acids.

Got to be a way? I don't want to walk around with radio frequencies emitting from me, unless it's a walkie talkie.

Any other spykiller idea's with RFID's?

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Try Dallas Semiconductor... reflashing RFID's is not uneasy. Rather than disable the RFID how about giving the "readers" bad data? If this is of interest u2u me and I'll ask one of our techs "hypothetically-speakin" how to go about it.
We use the button style of RFID as the hardware portion of a multi-part secure logon for some networks we administer and regularly change the "hash" we load them with. Seems to me I saw a bunch of buttons on a tinfoil sheet down in tech being "wacked" to clear their memories.

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, that seems like an even better idea, false info can do a whack more subversive chaos, and just may force them to give up on it as to be unreliable!

That'll be the next thing, RFID Phreaking!

Any other subversive idea's about?

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Simple isn't it? Just make a small EMP system, or just fry it with about 500V at a (very low, for safety) small current, maybe 0.0001A.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If it's fairly close to the surface, a molybdenium (sp?) magnet might wipe it.
You can buy them online or you may be able to find one in an old hard drive.
Putting false info on them sounds more fun though.

I didn't really read the article closely, are they going to be in all their jeans or is it just a trial in one location (that they won't divulge)?

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
wouldn't the microwave work though... anyway I bet youd notice if there was one. their only so small.

Cug

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Hmmm, that seems like an even better idea, false info can do a whack more subversive chaos, and just may force them to give up on it as to be unreliable!

Already been done.

They didn't use false info but they cloned some rfid chips (like the Exxon/Mobile speed pass)
rfidanalysis.org...

Stuff like this is why I don't like using rfid chips for purchases. In fact I changed banks when my new card had Mastercards PayPass system embedded. But you can protect yourself a bit by making a Faraday cage for your wallet. 2 sheets of copper screen would work fine.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Simple isn't it? Just make a small EMP system, or just fry it with about 500V at a (very low, for safety) small current, maybe 0.0001A.

That would probably work, as long as you could find the chip. Some chips are really small, but if they are the active kind that can broadcast their location by themselves, they should be big enough to find. If they are the passive type, I wouldn't even worry about them being there.

I'll have to see if I can find some technical data on typical RFID chips. Hopefully with my engineering knowledge, I can find an easy way to wreck RFIDs

edit begins here:

www.emmicroelectronic.com...

Assuming that the datasheets on that website are typical RFID devices, then they are designed to take quite high voltages, since they need to be able to resist static electricity. Some of the typical values in those datasheets are maximums of 30mA, 7.5V and 200 degrees celsius, and they also say they can take 2000V of static electricity. Unfortunately, 30mA or more can be dangerous if you don't really know what you are doing. Perhaps the simplest way would be to destroy the devices with high temperature, like tossing them in the oven for a few hours. (would that wreck the clothes, though?) That might even work better than the microwave, though that would probably work just as well.

Even though the chips are designed to withstand static electricity, they will still be vulnerable. If you keep shocking them over and over, eventually you will wreck it. (I've lost a few chips to static electricity before in labs... given the frustration that causes, I can't believe I'm actually advocating doing this on purpose!
) I'm not sure how long that would take, but I would stick with roasting it under high temperature; that's easier.

For those who mentioned magnets, I don't think that would work for most RFID chips, but it would depend on what they were made of, mostly.

Does WalMart have RFIDs tagging their stock, yet? I heard that they were considering this, but I haven't heard if they've gone through with it as of yet. If they have, maybe I can pick a few up and do some "experiments" on them...

[edit on 3-5-2006 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
"Does WalMart have RFIDs tagging their stock, yet? I heard that they were considering this, but I haven't heard if they've gone through with it as of yet. If they have, maybe I can pick a few up and do some "experiments" on them"

they have for years up here in canada infact I used to work as a security guard at a wal-mart.

you can hack store RFID systems with tin foil i used to do this all the time at work. Line your pockets with tin foil it will scramble the readers at the door and the system won't beep off.

If you want to zap RFID tags etc you can make a zapper out of a disposable camera the capacitor inside should be more then enough charge to wipe out a tag. You can do this by disconnecting the 2 wires from the flash bulb and running the wires through 2 drilled holes at the end. Reassemble and push the charge button the capacitor should build up enough to wip out the tag. Also just to note be carefull though this device can also double as a weak stun gun. the capacitors ussually come in cameras from 350 to 550 volts and it runs from a simple AA battery. It is cheap and a monkey could build one.

when i say stun gun i really mean it too this thing will leave 2 burn marks if you touch it to skin and could possibly give someone with a weak heart a heart attack.
This is potentially dangerous and i urge caution because dropping this in your lap will be a bad idea trust me

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:24 AM
link   
could someone tell me where exactly these would be placed? How do I zap it if I dont know where it is?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Well I am pretty sure actually that there is a way to build an RFID locator as well I seen it on Digg a while back. I haven't actually built one yet but as i do recall the plans for the RFID locator were pretty on the money.

Also I forgot to mention before because these things are radio frequency they should be emitting a signal. There apparently are ways to erase these RFID's at a distance I have yet to play with that.

As for where they are placed on CD's they are the reverse side of the bar code. Some places put them in a removable clip. It all depends on the place and what they're policy is. That's why you may want to have a locater.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
okay... are you talking about the things that stores put in cloths so I cant shoplift

I dont think those have anything to do with nwo.

on the other hand ones that stay in when I leave...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The coil in Westhues' hand is the antenna for the wallet-sized device he calls a cloner, which is currently shoved up his sleeve. The cloner can elicit, record, and mimic signals from smartcard RFID chips. Westhues takes out the device and, using a USB cable, connects it to his laptop and downloads the data from Van Bokkelen's card for processing. Then, satisfied that he has retrieved the code, Westhues switches the cloner from Record mode to Emit. We head to the locked door.

"Want me to let you in?" Westhues asks. I nod.

www.wired.com...

Imagine the chaos one could cause with this? (especially in Wally-World) I'm glad there are people that do this type of stuff!

join