It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Should Have Astronauts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A British-born astronaut due to fly on the next shuttle mission has said that the UK needs to fund a manned spaceflight program.

Dr Piers Sellers will fly aboard Discovery when she next lifts of in July, but to do this he was forced to become a US citizen.

He told the BBC News website: "The UK is one of a few countries that does not participate. I think it would be great if sometime in future it would join."

The UK does not support a manned space programme, even through the European Space Agency (Esa) of which it is a member.

"Most of the European member states participate in a manned programme and have astronauts in the programme. They are either working in Russia, Europe or the United States," Dr Sellers explained.

Link To Full Story!

I totally agree with Dr Sellers. The UK needs to fund a program that can get Brits into space. We are a member of the ESA so i dont see why they wont.

The ESA are planning many exciting things in the future and it would be nice to see British men and women going with them.

What are your thoughts? Do you think the UK should spend money sending our men and women to space???

Mic

[edit on 21/4/2006 by MickeyDee]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
MickeyDee,

It's impossible to agree with you any more than 110%.

The UK is way past due for a manned spce program, especially when a nation like China is routinely sending their commies (I thought it was over with when the Soviet Union collapsed) up there to conspire to wreak havoc on the free worlds communication systems.

It may sound ridiculous but I hope no one would think that China, Iran or India would venture into space solely for peaceful purposes.

The UK manned space program is something that should be seriously adressed.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly...but it won't happen for many years.
We can't even build Wembley stadium on time!!!

join