It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Necromantic Arts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
My name is Malenko......I am 25 and am very interested in the arts. I have the NECRONOMICON, and the NECRONOMICAON....Book of Spells. All I want to know is what language did the ancient Sumerians have? I am a deep study, and as well do have time to study this material. The fact that one of the 50 Gods metioned in the Book of Spells, has helped me get a job on the Rigs, BESTOW MANY, OTHER THINGS AS WELL....I work nitez, and do have a good hour while the moon is up at 3am. I am needing some what of input. I need the Sumerians Ancient Language, if and wh0at it is,
Coptic, and/or non-semetic, or semetic..........If someone as well that studies this art can help me, I would very, and great greatly appreciate it.

[email protected]

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title.

[edit on 21-4-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hi Malenko,

Welcome to ATS, glad you decided to join.

I do not know very much about ancient Sumeria but I know one of our members who studies it so I wil ask her to try and help you when she is next here.

Maybe you can also find some information y looking through some threads
on BTS as there is a board dedicated to Ancient Civilisatons.

Hope you enjoy yourself here.

JM

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malenko2013
My name is Malenko

The great malenko eh?

All I want to know is what language did the ancient Sumerians have?

Sumerian.

have the NECRONOMICON

Immpossible. Only this man has the necronomicon.

The necronomicron is a modern fabrication. The book was created after Lovecraft started talking about it.

Scan a copy of the pages from it and people here might be able to tell you more about your edition.

if and wh0at it is,
Coptic, and/or non-semetic, or semetic

Its not coptic, definitly. It may not, infact, even be semitic, its something of a standalone. Here is a page that has a link to a sumerian lexicon
www.sumerian.org...

[edit on 21-4-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Ubaid period predated Sumer, and was composed of primarily semetic nomads and hunter-gatherers. The language is not specified, as there is (so far), no indication of written language based on spoken language, older than ancient Sumer.

Old Sumerian is the language used in the Old Sumerian age. A large fraction of texts in Old Sumerian and most of our knowledge on this language is derived from texts already found before 1900 CE in Nippur, a holy city, the religious capital of Sumer, seat of Enlil, the supreme god of the Sumerian pantheon.

xoomer.virgilio.it...

At some point, in mesopotamia, they had two spoken languages: one for males and one for females. I bet that was confusing for children, who had to learn two languages from their parents. I wonder if they agreed to speak the same language when at home with their kids.

Old sumerian cuneiforms from Labat:
www-swiss.ai.mit.edu...

The Sumerians were the first to write spoken language.

The report that writing in Egypt is older than in Sumer is based on archaeologists in Egypt who use calibrated Carbon-14 dating, whereas Sumerologists are a conservative lot who keep quoting the conventional 3100 B.C. date for the invention of writing, when it should be 3400 B.C. according to calibrated C-14 dates.

The last major overview dealing with Mesopotamia as a whole that I know of which collected the various calibrated C-14 dates was that by Mellaart in Antiquity 53 (1979), with important comments in Antiquity 54 (1980) - these comments acknowledged that the extremely high Mesopotamian chronology that resulted should be reduced by an average 100 years due to calibrated dates for wood/timber being too high by that average. The end result was still to support a high chronology rather than a middle chronology, especially for the transition between Uruk IV and Uruk III (AKA Jemdet Nasr). This transition appears to have occurred around 3300 BC using calibrated dates with the 100 year reduction.

You will also find pictures and discussion of a repertoire of symbols in Marija Gimbutas' publications on 'Old Europe', predating Sumerian. But the Vinca culture 'writing' appears more to have been tribal or family heraldic emblems like tatoos, found engraved on pots, with no indication that it represented the words of spoken language.
For so-called writing before the Sumerians, check out works by Alexander Marshack on calendar type markings (Stone Age Europe) and Marija Gimbutas on the Vinca culture writing (Neolithic Europe). Despite such precursors though, it is clear that Sumerian writing was the first in which there was a correspondence between the words of the spoken language and the written symbols.

www.sumerian.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
NECRONOMICON is a book invented by H.P. Lovecraft (yes, really.) One of the big publishers paid writers to come up with the text. It's about as useful as a compilation of Garfield comics.

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
NECRONOMICON is a book invented by H.P. Lovecraft (yes, really.) One of the big publishers paid writers to come up with the text. It's about as useful as a compilation of Garfield comics.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Just read and reasearch about the Ancient Egyptian's Book of the Dead if you're that interested in "Necro" things. It's not like that fictional Lovecraft book though.

top topics

join