It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pantheonic Deities?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It seems to me that this thread is about polytheism. Polytheism in its accepted form doesn't nor has it ever actually existed. What most people do not either understand or are just unwilling to accept is the fact that the "gods" of the Greeks,Romans, Egyptians,Sumerians, et cetera, were personifications of a singular God.

What I mean is that all of these "gods" were just aspects of a singular entity, even in the eyes of the ancients. Of course, absent of the writings of a few ancient scholars, we have no way of really knowing this. However, most modern day scholars now accept that the "gods of old" were just personifications of the One God.

For example, when someone spoke of "the god of the lake". What that person was actually speaking of was the harmonically charged particles emanating from the central source, not an actual entity of the lake. You see, all of this has lead to confusion among spiritual acolytes when there really shouldn't be any confusion at all.

If one looks at the sun, one is not looking at the true spiritual sun but a physical REPRESENTATION of the spiritual sun. This same process is used in mythology. Man has caused debate when there is nothing to debate or ponder.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
It seems to me that this thread is about polytheism. Polytheism in its accepted form doesn't nor has it ever actually existed. What most people do not either understand or are just unwilling to accept is the fact that the "gods" of the Greeks,Romans, Egyptians,Sumerians, et cetera, were personifications of a singular God.

What I mean is that all of these "gods" were just aspects of a singular entity, even in the eyes of the ancients. Of course, absent of the writings of a few ancient scholars, we have no way of really knowing this. However, most modern day scholars now accept that the "gods of old" were just personifications of the One God.

I guess you mean the distinction between hard and soft polytheism. I thought the ancient greeks were clearly viewed as hard polytheists (independent deities), say compared to Hinduism which is seen as soft polytheism.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join