It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mechanisms of evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
2 proposed:
1, natural selection, however it appears that species have a limit to useful adaptions then sterility appears.
2, mutation - this would have to produce useful and novel adaptions.

the second factor would appear to be the most important for species change thus evidence would have to show that this has happened or can happen. Are there any good examples of this?
I'm neither creationist or evolutionist - just interested in origins.
Scientific examples only please

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by adam_weishaupt
2 proposed:
1, natural selection, however it appears that species have a limit to useful adaptions then sterility appears.

the second factor would appear to be the most important for species change thus evidence would have to show that this has happened or can happen. Are there any good examples of this?
I'm neither creationist or evolutionist - just interested in origins.
Scientific examples only please

There are many more mechanisms of evolution than simply natural selection and mutation...
like genetic drift, genetic flow (which are even more important, contributing factors)

mutation is rare. it doesn't actually happen that often.

btw, I don't even believe in evolution the way Darwin theorized.
I believe in the Bible and Holy Scriptures.

Darwin was so foolish.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
does genetic drift and genetic flow produce new genetic information? does some offspring acquire something new and novel that it's parent does not have?

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The 'nylon bug' would be a good example of a beneficial mutation forming new 'information'.

The bug from which it evolved digests sugar. A frame shift mutation transformed a gene that digests sugar into a gene that digests nylon. This mutation destroyed the sugar-digesting abilities. So, I think this suggests the gene could not have existed before nylon was synthesised this century, as the mutation would be fatal without it.

Edit: Linky...

Nylon bug

[edit on 18-4-2006 by melatonin]

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   

does genetic drift and genetic flow produce new genetic information? does some offspring acquire something new and novel that it's parent does not have?

what do you mean new gentic info?

Neither genetic drift and flow nor natural selection produce new, novel genes. But these do bring about changes in gene frequencies...which is what evolution (supposedly) is.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

2 proposed:

Mutation is rare not the most important one but one must define mutation first...

I believe every species evolves from the need to survive.That's the only reason...

A simple example the cheetah ...probably a long time ago they didn't resemble the actual animal they were probably slower and their body was less designed for speed and hunting....but look at them now they have evolved in to killing fast running machines...see my point?

Species evolve to survive

Humans also evolved to survive, they did in way that seem unnatural in our world, we made invention,used tools developed technology unseen in other creatures...we are not so different this just “our way” of evolving.

new topics

top topics

join