It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring back the applause list!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
...that tallentless troll Majic...

I have to admit, I did raise an eyebrow when he was selected. My first thought was OMG, how are we going to survive...his...let's just say....thorough exuberance for the law enforcement aspect of the role?
Fortunately for the membership, Majic has a roving attention span that assures us the tyranny will be brief.

(Ya know you're well luv'd, Majic...
)

[edit on 16-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   

If there was going to be a new applause list, I'd like to see "most applauded" or "most WATSed" threads (don't know if that would be practical from a coding standpoint though). If that were possible, rather than seeking out one or two stellar posts, we'd be able to find the threads where the there was an interaction of many high-quality posters, and hopefully it would be at least as ambiguous as the prior list in terms of drama reduction.

Great idea! By just showling the top 5 for the week, I think the drama level would be decreased since so many drama events around these start with an odd mistake. Or a temporary lack of judgment.

[edit on 4/16/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Just to clear things up, this thread is about the "imperfect" tool known previously as the Applaud List (Recently removed from ATS).

It has absolutly nothing to do with applauses points or bars. It's about the list...and how we want it back (or even better, improved and returned).

Thanks for the input on this guys, I'm glad others agree with me. I was reluctant to make a post in BQ&B about it.. and I'm glad others agree.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks, Loam, for the explanation of why you want the Applause List back. I understand, now.

And let me assure those of you who may not be quite completely 'comfortable' with Majic behind the scenes, in my opinion, he is MOST concerned about being fair minded and being a Member Advocate. He takes the position seriously and I wouldn't worry about him in the LEAST!

And that's not just because I'm crazy about him either!

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And let me assure those of you who may not be quite completely 'comfortable' with Majic behind the scenes, in my opinion, he is MOST concerned about being fair minded and being a Member Advocate. He takes the position seriously and I wouldn't worry about him in the LEAST!

I hope you (and HE) know I was joking....
I have direct experience with what you say, and know it to be true. He is doing a phenomenal job!

Back on topic:

Everyone keeps talking about "drama" because of applause.... Will someone give me ONE example where that was true?
I feel I've been on this board long enough, and I have NEVER seen such an example.... Moreover, I have had the power to GIVE applause for some time, and I have never had anyone complain to me about any of it....

So, what are you naysayers talking about?

[edit on 16-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For Whom The Bell Trolls

Yeah I agree. This never would have happened if they'd promoted me and you instead of that tallentless troll Majic (no warns buddy, you know I like you, even if I have to keep a dictionary on hand just to catch all of your incessant puns).

I must take strenuous exception to the characterization of yours truly as a "talentless troll".

I have been repeatedly assured by many respected experts on the subject that I have extraordinary talent as a troll.

You're just jealous of my ability to annoy people, is all.

Deputy Majic: Bloodhound Of The Law

Originally posted by loam
I have to admit, I did raise an eyebrow when he was selected. My first thought was OMG, how are we going to survive...his...let's just say....thorough exuberance for the law enforcement aspect of the role?

Criminals beware!

"Seems I'm going to have to nip this in the bud."

My Fifteen Seconds Of Fame

Originally posted by loam
Fortunately for the membership, Majic has a roving attention span that assures us the tyranny will be brief.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Oh yes: horses.

I like horses.

(Okay, actually it was the applause list. And me, of course.)

[edit on 4/16/2006 by Majic]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Theres Majic, always threatening people with that gun

Didn't know you can nip it in the bud with a .45

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It does not "fit" with the new look. The "hot topics" and most viewed boxes are good places to look for good content. The little boxes are gone, too busy on the eyes.

HOWEVER I may be convinced to see about a link to a page that could show most recent applauds IF the price is right.

Would satisfy your data jones?

Springer...

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
HOWEVER I may be convinced to see about a link to a page that could show most recent applauds IF the price is right.

Thanks for the reply, Springer.

I have been known to prostitute myself for lesser causes. What is your price?

Me luv you Longggg Time....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Okay that's enough of that Hanoi Jane. Back on the moped, get thee to a nunnery. Shoo!

In answer to your question, visible records of recent applause DO have the potential to cause drama. For example, a group of members believe X is true. A mod applauds a member who thinks Y is true. Automatically, some of those members who believe in X think the Mod is abusing power, and start a mess about it.

Honestly, it's not a big deal, IMO. Like, we don't shut down the site just because some twits think we're all agents. You just have to take it in stride, and make sure to piss off everyone equally. That's my approach anyway.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
It does not "fit" with the new look. The "hot topics" and most viewed boxes are good places to look for good content. The little boxes are gone, too busy on the eyes.

Would satisfy your data jones?

Springer...

Do you take checks or money orders?

How about Credit cards? Dont worry about the fact that it says "Simon Gray" on the card, I swear, its MINE. Yeah....

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
In answer to your question, visible records of recent applause DO have the potential to cause drama. For example, a group of members believe X is true. A mod applauds a member who thinks Y is true. Automatically, some of those members who believe in X think the Mod is abusing power, and start a mess about it.

Sorry, WyrdeOne, I'm not buying it..... I note with interest that you say "potential" which implies you are not recounting an actual experience... I think the evils identified are simply unfounded...

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There was a brief quirk in the entire Serpo thread about mods applauding a group of people, and not the other. It was brought up, and quickly squashed.

So Wyrdeone is speaking the truth. I think this quarrel even happened during the Aussie Bloke series.. where people pointed out specific applauses.

It all comes down to what an applause represents in my humble opinion. If a member puts effort, facts, sources, and understanding behind a post, and recieves an applaud, then perhaps the "other side" needs to do the same.

Springer: A new link, or page, or whatever would be awesome (with links to threads). I'm willing to pay 10,000 ats points for it

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I dont know why exactly, but somehow Majic has just become a favorite victim of mine lately. I think the fact that my warning-free history has survived says he's not half the mad-dog lawman that we might have expected.

The other day in the debate discussion I compared Mein Kampf to one of his posts. (not the other way around, and i stress that difference- I was insulting Mein Kampf, not Majic.)

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Since Springer appears to have saved the day, and resolved the issue in this thread, can we change the thread title to something that enables us to continue talking about Majic?

For example, I would like his opinion on the symbolic similarities of a Habane's "Day of Flight" and his ascension to MOD-hood...

Inquiring minds what to know...

[edit on 17-4-2006 by loam]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
New Title Proposal: Mein Haibane: More Applause For Majic!

Yes, yes. That should do nicely.

As for the Day of Flight versus modhood, I see them as distinct and unrelated concepts. In the Day of Flight, one transcends haibanedom and goes "Beyond the Wall", whereas in modhood, I just become more preachy, irritating and button-clicky.

Completely different things, you see.

[edit on 4/17/2006 by Majic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join