It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Buys Back Stolen Data by Afghan Base (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Outside of the US military base in Bagram, American investigators are spending thousands of dollars to buy back missing computer drives. Some of these drives contain sensitive military information. One vendor reported selling 50 drives to the investigators who are walking around the market with a box full of cash to facilitate the purchases. The appearance of so many of the drive and other memory devices has sparked an investigation into how security was breached.

news.yahoo.com
BAGRAM, Afghanistan - American investigators armed with a "box full" of cash have paid thousands of dollars to buy back stolen computer drives — many of which contain sensitive military data, shopkeepers outside the main U.S. military base in Afghanistan said Friday.

But dozens are still on sale, including memory sticks with information ranging from U.S. troop resumes to photographs of Air Force One during President Bush's visit last month.

The surfacing of the stolen computer devices has sparked an urgent probe to discover how security could have been breached at the heavily guarded Bagram base, which coordinates the fight against Taliban and al-Qaida militants and includes one of the military's main detention facilities for suspected terrorists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

First Los Alamos can seem to keep track of their stuff and now this. Its amazing that it got this bad before somebody investigated. I mean if the drive is stolen from your PC you would at least try to figure out what happened to it right? With stuff like this it’s no wonder they have not had much luck tracking down Bin laden.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Good idea...buy it back AFTER the information has been taken off of it.

Shouldn't have left the base in the first place. I hope some people got reprimanded because of this...I'm sure some people died because the information got out.

apc

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I thought it was already pretty clear how the drives were stolen?

If you don't pay your cleaning lady well enough, no doubt she will look around for a "tip."

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm maybe I should go check out the garage sales in los Alamos eh?

top topics

join