It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far will you go to get out of work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
This is sure a news-filled day.

A couple called into work and told them their SON died so they could get a couple of days off.

How sick! This is incredible!!!

How far would you go?

ps...I'll provide a link as soon as i run into one- I heard this on Fox.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
My father has told me stories when he was younger where a friend whacked him in the hand with a hammer so he couldn't work and had a few days off.

Myself I've used a few family members in the hospital trick which is a sure shot, sometimes desperate measures calls for desperate actions.

I stand by my decisions.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Most of us have used the sick relative or dead relative routine.

But your own son?

I think thats cruel. Very cruel.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
No no no, I have never used my son. (I Dont have a son)

Ive used uncles, cousins etc.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
LOL.....I hear ya!

When you become a father/mother you know you could never use that as an excuse.

You better not, Chissler, "something" will haunt your bedpost the rest of your life.

Besides, i am supersticious and i could never use someone i love as an excuse.....There's something very wrong with it.
I'd be afraid i'd be summoning their death in some sick way.....

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
The old "headache" and high fever works

just as well.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A guy I worked with once came in a little late....eyes briming with tears....telling us how he had sat through his fathers death from cancer the night before. Of course he got three days off to take care of affairs. We all pitched in and collected money and bought flowers. When the Manager called the funeral homes looking for him and couldnt find where he was at. He wound up calling the mans home to find out where the services were being held.

Guess who answered the phone...........

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Amuk, thanks for that.

I just cant beleive it. How sick!

I guess its more common than i thought.

:bash:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
A couple called into work and told them their SON died so they could get a couple of days off.

That wasn't the only thing they did using their son. The second part of the story was that the mother was telling Tyson Foods, both the father's and mother's employer, that their son was sick since December, and the mother had been off work with pay for those months to "stay with her son." Then comes the death announcement.

Unfortunately for them, someone saw the son out at a convenience store or something similar and started telling people about it.

I have had discussions with people that have told me that they occasionally use their child as an excuse for skipping work for the day, but with the length of time involved, this is a scam.

JDub

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Let's just put it this way, I've used so many excuses that I now need to recycle them.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm self employed and my boss is a real jerk.
The excuse I use to not go to work is that I'm
having a terrible attack of schizophrenia.
Works every time!!

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thats a good one, Whaaa!

or maybe you are not "yourself" today, you're somebody else

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I simply tell 'em....if you're not going to let me drink at work, there's no point being here.

NC

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've never used the "dying kinfolk" bit, for fear it would cause something terrible, like a "Twighlight Zone" episode.

Have I ever skipped a tradeshow to hang out at a world-class museum? Of course. I've also gone home instead of going to get research materials from the archives . . . "I'm liable to be down in the basement the rest of the day, ya know . . ."

I've also been in a room where the instructor said he didn't want to be there. A girl said "if you mark our timesheets right now, we'll let you fill out our evaluations yourself!"

We spent the rest of "training day" at the mall!

I guess I take enough pride in my various jobs that I only cheat when it is a demonstration of slacker virtuosity, and not something that's just . . . lazy.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Here is what I do:

Me: "hello, its me"
Work: "hey"
Me: "Im not coming in today"
Work: "your work done?"
Me: "yes"
Work: "cya"
Me: "Bye"

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Skippy, i had a job i could pull that.

Heard of Computer World magazine? Framingham? I did 20 years there.

Nobody cared as long as you were cought up.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have used just about every kind of excuse there is to miss work. Why just last month...during the NCAA tournament...my dear grandmother passed away...the one that lived in Kansas and who's funeral I had to attend...in Kansas. I have heard just about all of them...but my all time favorite by a long shot is good old fashioned diareah. Here is why. It is a victimless lie because you don't have to pretend that anyone is dead or ill, it will certainly prevent you from being able to attend work and will definately prevent you from functioning properly. Nobody is able to prove it or disprove it one way or the other because it is not severe enough to see a doctor for. And the most beautiful part is that it is so utterly disgusting to hear about someone else having the splatters that managers and bosses rarely even ask a second question when you bring it up, plus they think "why would anyone embarrass themselves by lieing about it". Works like gold every time .

top topics

join