It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows on a Mac?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'm sure many of you have already heard about this, but I just had to share some of the juicier parts of a article from ABC News...

ABC News.com
April 6, 2006 -- For the legions of diehard Apple fans, the announcement that some Mac computers would be able to run Windows was nothing short of earth shattering.

"It's huge news for the Mac community. It's a real bombshell," said author Leander Kahney. "Hell has frozen over, black is white, two plus two equals five, the whole fabric of the universe has been ripped open."

The new Boot Camp software, which allows owners of the newest Mac computers to install Microsoft's Windows operating system, can be downloaded for free in a test form right now.

--snip--

"This is gonna turn everything on its head," one Mac fan said on the message boards of the CNet.com computer news site. "It could potentially double Apple's market share, especially as Windows users who buy the Mac will now experience Mac OS X firsthand. And when they do, they will forget about using Windows OS."

yadboy sez
Buy a clue macboy, "Windows users" use Windows because of the software it supports, people won't give up their favorite apps, so they won't give up Windoze either.

Analysts put Apple's share of the U.S. computer market at a little more than 3 percent in 2004, far short of industry leader Dell's roughly 33 percent share.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Am I missing something here, The mac fans are acting like this will make Apple computers fly off the shelves. To me this software will only be for people who already have a newer Mac. I'm sure there will be some PC users who will buy one of the new intel macs because of this, but I just don't see this luring ANY true PC user away. A lot of PC users like having the ability to upgrade this machine with parts made by a bunch of vendors that are in direct competion with each other. It forces hardware innovation and prices that fall fast. Apple computers offer some upgrades but you are extremely limited.

Think of it this way, Apple now uses x86 cpu's and can run Windows. You know what that makes it, a shiny PC that's expensive to buy with limited upgradability. Yeah I can see their marketshare going through the roof!:shk:

[edit on 4/6/2006 by yadboy]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
But what you overlook is the advantage this provides to professionals in industries that heavily use macs. As an audio engineer I'm extremely excited to know that now when I eventually buy one of these (I'll never buy 1st gen mac) I'll be able to run ANY program instead of having to run multiple systems.

[sarcasm]
Heaven forbid a company do something not directed for 17 geeks!! We all know the only reason to innovate anything is for the consumer public!!
[/sarcasm]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Honestly, I was brought up on Macs in my school district, and when I was introduced to Windows, I was like "THANK YOU GOD!"

I used them mainly for web page design which was a pain because every ten minutes Mac OS X would say "File Deleted" Which really ticked me off, cause I was actually working on things that were important (and getting paid for it as well). It made me want to to this to the computer sometimes
, and this to my head:bnghd:

So I'm sorry, but I don't care if Apple does take over the world, I'm still using something else cause I just hate the rotten Apples.:bash:

new topics

join