It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate: Sex and Violence in Popular Entertainment is only an accurate reflection of our Society.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
what the hell does that topic actually mean? Are you trying to say that the sex and violence is an accurate portrayal, as in, it happens in real life everday, of our society? WHos society are we talking about? the World? USA? Argh some of these topics are really vague...

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm currently reading a book about spree killers, that is people who stride into a building or public place with a gun and start taking pot shots at any one in the way. There is a section where the author deals with how violence is protrayed within TV entertainment. He took one fictional cop show set in a real city and compared the death rate per programme to the actual death rate in reality. The fictional cop, in one episode, killed more people than the whole of the cities real police force did per year.
I think there is a link between the entertainment industries use of iconic glamorous images of violence and the sick, immature people who try to emulate it.

[Edited on 13-10-2003 by ubermunche]

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Actually, he mis-stated the names originally...that topic is for Loki and I to debate...check the thread again...

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Can someone tell me what the topic actually means? Like what's the question? There's some serious societal assumptions made in its phrasings...

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Originally, it is kind of vague...

I'm reading it as:

Is the sex and violence in entertainment an accurate reflection of the times and current societal views on these subjects, or is it just gratuitous...?

top topics

join