It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien and UFO research, getting started?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hello all. Well ok i have always been interested in UFO's. I have no idea whether they are alien or terrestrial and so i try and approach the subject without bias. I like evidence when there is some, afterall only good evidence will ever sort the mystery out.

Ok so how would i go about researching UFO's for a living? I see these professional researchers on tv, i read their books and so on. How do you get started? I mean there are alot of professional researchers but not all of them have books so how else do they make their money? Seminars, paid research projects? Do most do it as an extra job?

Don't get me wrong here i am not trying to do it for money, but obviously you need money to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

So basically i would like a quick few points by people who know and preferably do it. How to start, how to do it full time and earn enough to devote your time to it. How to make money in a way other than books (although i will probably try and write one anyway). I would like to do it full time without distractions of another job so i need to make money doing it obviously.

Ok that's about it, any help would be gratefully received. I did try searching for a thread about this but i couldn't find one here. Maybe i missed it in the long list my search revealed.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Im also interested in this. as IR says we see them on the TV but i never notived a College course on SETI or UFO Research

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So you want to be a ufologist; one who studies UFO phenomena. Here's a link on ufology:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Note: I give the following as a self-professed amateur UFOlogist....though I hope to eventually be more, as well as other things, with time...

First, get a college degree. Why? Because it shows you understand commonly accepted research standards. In doing college papers, you'll come to realize valid reseach criteria, etc. This will help with legitimacy...especially if the degree is a Masters, PHD, etc. The degree doesn't have to be in anything related to UFOs or Science (though science or engineering, etc. would be better)....but again, it shows that you understand research methods.

Second, write a book. Yes, bite the bullet and do it. Without this, no name recognition, no seminars, etc. People won't pay to come see those they don't know or haven't remotely heard of. Even if at a symposium or con, if you have nobody showing up to your lecture, you won't be asked back.

Third, and this really should be first....but immerse yourself in everything in the subject....from the whackos like Meier, to the whacko skeptics like Klass...(and don't use the word "whacko" when describing them, hehe...) You need to realize both sides of the spectrum as well as in-between... Some of the best cases are the older ones where they have a paper trail as they didn't yet have a procedure to cover it up. Also, study the work of other UFOlogists, especially those such as Pope or Hyneck, as they once worked the other side of the fence. Realize who is respected in the field, and those who are not..(and these could be one in the same, depending on who you ask).... Some of my faves, Good, Friedman, Randle (not Randles), Rudiak, Hyneck, Pope, etc.

Fourth, do the research. Often, accounts conflict, but there are remarkable amounts of documents, official programs, news accounts, etc. of the phenomenon....

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Everything Gazrock has said is good advice.
I'd add to the list some formal training in documentation (your detractors will be organized and ruthless and some of them will never be appeased); there appears to be something less-than-level when it comes to the field on which you endeavour to play... ask Dr. Friedman sometime. He's nice and doesn't bite.
Document! Document! Document!
Get a patron. No, make it two, this'll be expensive.
Research takes time and lots of it - not to mention you need to discover something subject-wise that hasn't already been beaten to death.
Specialize. Find a subject-niche and own it knowledge-wise.
Don't fall into the research trap of trying to make the data fit your theory.
Do a little history and learn from those who have fallen before you - don't make the mistakes they have - like embellishing data or distorting fact.
Forget having a life - fire the significant other - all else will become secondary, tertiary, quaternary to your pursuit.
Get a website, learn public-speaking skills, write the book, do the conventions, make the DVD, get an agent, sell the rights, pass on the knowledge to the next-gen researcher, retire.
Have an important message and tell it in a way that satisfies both the techie and the less-informed that you have told the truth.
Always understate your case slightly and allow the the intended audience to come to they're own conclusions. Try and find out what they feel AFTER you've informed them - that'll tell you how well you/your theory are doing.
Oh yeah and above all - be nice to people and never talk down to them - ever, talk to everyone no matter how tired and frustrated you feel - have a sense of humour - you'd be surprised how many really good researchers languish in my field because they are abrasive, cynical and "of minds not always open".
Best of luck.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think , as a want to be "self-professed amateur UFOlogist" , that Gazrok has just given excellent advice.

I would just reinforce what Gazrok said , and admit that I likely can not reach those standards myself , but they are correct goals and good advice.

I also think that a good understanding of History as it relates to UFOlogy , is a key to fully understanding the issue.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Thanks all good advice. I'll get back to you in a few years as to how it's going lol. For now i will continue to read things here at ATS along with every book and documentary i can stumble across.

Thanks all.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Wonderful advice from Gazrok!
Good luck in your UFO journey imaginary reality.
Lost Shamon and Gazrok will you both plz email me as I cannot u2u anyone yet.
I would really like to hear from both of you please!
Me thinks we have much in common.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by tommyb98201]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hi,

There is an article on the CUFOS website that is relevant to this question.

See:
www.cufos.org...

It includes, amongst other sensible advice, the following:

"... almost any area you decide to study can be applied someday to the study of UFOs. For this reason, we strongly urge you get your degrees or training in areas that you find interesting and in which you would like to seek employment. Undoubtedly, you will need to make a living doing something besides studying UFOs.
You may find this advice rather unsatisfactory because it is not very specific. But actually, it should be encouraging that almost anything you learn can be applied to UFO studies. This gives you great freedom to choose. And if there are specific areas of UFO study that you find intriguing, our advice above should provide some guidance about where you should gain further education."

I've put the key bit in bold.

Without wishing to go into the personal finances of any individual, if you know about the financial position of even "big" names within ufology (e.g. Dick Hall and Jenny Randles) you would think twice about ufology as a career...

Kind Regards,

Isaac Koi

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
All the above advice from Gazrok is great stuff, this is however one thing I can tell you from firsthand witness.

1)It is an extremely volitile field. Worse then many I have seen, or heard talked about. Egomaniacials are everywhere within the field. If you dont commonly deal with that kind of person, or know how to work your way around them, dont even bother to start.

2)One bad move, one bad word or thesis uttered or written from you, or even the perceived notion of anything underhanded (even if you didnt do a thing wrong) and youre done. 100% done. And you wont be coming back from it.

I was pretty much on the cusp of being the full time researcher, I had done lectures and presentations for years, and involved myself in some of the biggest cases of the day and that garnered radio appearances.

I left of my own volition, some due to what I saw happen in ethics in the field itself, and some of my own experiences. My view of mainstream UFology was that I was disgusted by it, and the motives behind it. I watched UFO footage at a seriously big UFO researcher's home, that blew me away. You people to this day have still not seen it. When I asked why it wasnt on TV yet, the reply was "we have to save that till we need it". Money driven release. I understand the M.O., but if you run your career correctly, you dont have to do that.

But I watched as another researcher I did some work with went down the toilet over ONE case, and his ethics in dealing with it. One case. Done. Bye. And yes, it was his fault.

So be prepared to spend alot of your own money, and a TON of time. You wont find a backer easily...if in fact at all.

Publish papers online and get a website that looks professional. See a big case come up? Contact the lead investigator and tell him you want to try and help, or get involved. No one is going to ask you. You have to get in.

The main question is going to be "what are you bringing to the case?" To quote HellBoy, "what got you this job pushing pancakes..what exactly is your area of expertise?"

If you can do something, do it. But be prepared to relinquish all data to back up your claims about why your qualified to do whatever it is youre going to do. If no one knows you or youre not versed in a applicable field, book or not, no one is going to care.

If you can do anything besides what any warm blooded person can do...you got a long wait. It's not like when Friedman entered this field...people are rife to get involved.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
jritzmann

Thanks for that advice. Actually one of the reasons i want to enter this field is becuase so many ufologists seem to jump to conclusions. I don't want to sound like a skeptic there but when i looked at the evidence of varies things like many other people on this site do, i could find a far easier explanation for it. It seemed to me that ufologists today expect to see aliens before they start a case. This is obviously a flawed way of researching and as you said it would bring ridicule doing so.

I am very interested in knowing what you saw on this footage. Could you give a description? Obviously i can't take your word from it but it would be interesting to know what you apparently saw.

Maybe i am ignorant but if i had a decent piece of footage i would release it regardless of money. It would be on the internet faster than George Bush Jr goes to war.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Well you have to realize there was no real internet then.

If you think some researchers jump to conclusions too soon, wait til you get "in" (if you do). I watched cases go by that had such a 0% probablility of being real shown as the next big case. It's about sensationalism.

My lectures were either about my own experiences, or why such and such case footage was a hoax. These were proved beyond any question once I got done. As you might guess it didnt garner me love from some supporters and investigators. But the public cared.

I had a lecture where it was maybe 150 people. Everyone was glued to the seat, til I voiced part of what I'd had to say, 5 people left moaning that "they werent going to listen to this." My wife was sitting beside them.

Hey 5 out of 150 aint bad. I couldnt have cared less. I was told later that I was the best presentation of the conference, and to boot, Dick Hall congratulated me on my lecture. That was the highlight...I was beyond elated. It was also my last lecture. I left the field some months later. I havent reliqushed myself to not going back again. It's open.

The films I saw were I believe if I remember right, out of FLA. They showed silver orbs in perfect focus floating over the ocean, and sometimes over homes...to go from dead stop to what was estimated by the researcher to be 60K mph before it left the frame. Instantaneous acceleration. Before the advent of CG composite software would have been available to consumer markets. I was not given copies, I asked. Such footage was held in secret from the public, and even tighter by researchers. Thats only one example. There were many others.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
That is a very interesting story you told Jritzmann, I sure would like to hear more on these movies you saw. I can't even imagine the feeling you had sitting there watching these films with a very well known researcher.. ya wanna say who it was?

I have been seriously researching UFO's for the past year and a half and before that I would read and watch every documentary I could on the subject of UFO's and other subjects that interest me for about 16 to 18 years.

I have found what I believe to be evidence of 3 UFO's flying around our very own Sun on 3 different occasions and the images where taken with the camera attached to the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO).

This was a great topic Imaginary Reality, I really enjoyed reading everyones posts. I for one though do not believe that you need a piece of paper saying that you have a degree in something to be a recognized researcher. It is a shame that people (skeptics) thinks that it is important. I believe that the years you put into researching a subject and the knowledge that you have should be enough as long as you do know what you are talking about.

Thanks for the post Imaginary, I will continue to follow this thread.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Stari.

I agree that a piece of paper means very little, employers are actually seeing this now, but in the area of research a piece of paper gives credibility. If you don't have one i suppose a skeptic could easily just say "What would you know, you don't have a degree". Ok that is a poor argument and would only be used by someone as a last resort when they are losing an argument to try and disregard your opinions, but most people will accept it. Many people i think would suddenly look upon you as nothing, even if your research is documented and backed up by alot of facts and documents it won't matter.

I can see the point of getting a degree and it isn't that hard these days to get one online from a recognised body like the Open University or something like that. The OU is quite respected now so anyone who is interested might want to look into that.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
As I said...just a piece of paper...but it does two things...

1. credibility. You aren't just a guy off the street...you're a degreed student, a professional scholar.

2. research. It shows that you know proper research methods.

One last piece of advice, and this has been broken by EVERY major UFOlogist, even the good ones. Don't resort to name-calling and character assassination....(and yeah, I've been guilty of it here for some of the frauds, but I wouldn't do it professionally). Assassinate their counterpoints...not them personally, and you won't be seen as a "kook"...and they will be the ones looking bad.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
One last piece of advice, and this has been broken by EVERY major UFOlogist, even the good ones. Don't resort to name-calling and character assassination....(and yeah, I've been guilty of it here for some of the frauds, but I wouldn't do it professionally). Assassinate their counterpoints...not them personally, and you won't be seen as a "kook"...and they will be the ones looking bad.

This is actually one point i have tried to make in many of my posts on ATS. If someone doesn't agree then they make comments like "Well if you don't agree then you are a fachist" or "If you don't agree then you must be one of them". The thing is the mud slinger always wins, if someone gets accused of being a paedophile for example then they can never shake the rumours, no evidence is needed.

The other problem with this is that the accepted views will always be accepted. When they are challenged then people make these comments and the average person believes it. They think anyone who questions the accepted ideas and opinions of the time must be insane, stupid or whatever else, even if they have a degree and evidence.

top topics

join