It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

appalician trail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
as an unusually well traveled bunch, i ask the following?

anybody here ever walked the A.T.? i'm going this summer and am n desperate need of someone who has been there/done that to quiz.

thanks

Boots out

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Nope, I have never done it. I hope you are well prepared for your journey.
Have you looked at the
Trailplace.com - An Appalachian Trail Resource Site yet? It can be found at www.trailplace.com... . They do have a guidebook for sale there. It might be handy.
It looks like you will need to register in order to access their Blogs and photo galleries.
Somebody sent me this site a long time ago. I never registered or even really tried to look at it, but for some reason, I did save it. I sure hope this site will assist you in some way.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I never did it, but I knew someone that hiked the entire length. We used to work together and talked about it quite a lot to pass the time. Me being into camping, hiking and kayaking we spent most of the time discussing the logistical aspects of doing it (type of gear, what to carry, food drops, etc.)

Since I most likely asked the same things that you are going to ask, I may have some of the answers you are looking for, second hand of course. So send me a U2U with your questions and I will see what I can help you figure out, if you are interested.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
was actually born right in the middle of them in Boone, North Carolina. Funny thing is, all you guys that aren't from that area pronounce it Apple-A-shin, when in all actuallity it is Apple-a-chin. I've gotten in a lot of arguments over this with my History and ecology teachers.

But it is absolutely beautiful... at anytime of the year. My favorite is the summer time, but people came to Boone from all over the states to see the leaves in the fall.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
As a brit ive never heard of this?....would you be so kind as to explain what it is?..cheers,

sounds interesting!

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It's a trail that follows all along the Appalachian Mountains:

It's very beautiful, and part of it is called the Blue Ridge Parkway because of this:

The pictures I found didn't do them justice. Many parts look completely blue, and extremely beautiful. Anyone who has the chance needs to og check them out.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I spent about 7 years living up in Boone NC and went hiking on the App trail between Asheville and Boone a few times.. Im not an expert on flroa or fauna or anything but if i can find some of my old pics ill post them for you.
It really is a very beautiful place. I would highly endorse going and getting some caomping/hiking in if you get the chance

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Just remember to be nice to all the

"Appalician Americans" that you encounter..... those are my peeps..

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
And if you go, be sure to know the local pronunciatoin... it's Apple - a - Chin, not Apple - A - Shin. I love having that argument with my varius teachers. But yes, I think visiting the Apps, especially the Blue Ridge Parkway is a must for everyone.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I read the book by Bill Bryson when he walked the trail. Very good book, very funny in parts. Dont think its a good guide but it will help I'm sure.

McP.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I know some people that have hiked the Appalachian Trail. I never have but I've been through there because I myself am from VA.

I would deffinitelly go with other people. And take a couple of guns. Yunno just for personal protection. The Sasquatches are pretty bad up there I've heard.

top topics

join