It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of iranian made VA-111 Shkval missile

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Some of you guys have not seen the missile being tested but this is a video forum a different forum. it is a big accomplishment for us making our own missiles and one that is like this makes me proud of my country
. it is so fast that not even the camera man could keep it up with it. Correct me if im wrong but iran is the second nation to have missiles like this and the only one in the world that re-engineered VA-111 shkval. Like i said Iran in missile technology is more advanced than any other middle east country.

Link

Iran says fires sonar-evading, underwater missile

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has test-fired a sonar-evading underwater missile that can outpace any enemy warship, a senior naval commander told state television on Sunday during a week of war games in the Gulf.

Western nations have been watching developments in Iran's missile capabilities with concern amid a standoff over the Iranian nuclear program, which the West says is aimed at building atomic bombs. Iran says the program is only civilian.

Analysts say the United States could take military action against Iran if it fails to resolve the nuclear dispute through diplomatic means. Iranian commanders say their armed forces are ready to respond to any attack.

Iran earlier in the war games said it tested a radar-evading missile and Sunday's announcement is likely to add to Western worries. Iran has a commanding position over the Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Gulf, a shipping route through which passes some two-fifths of all the oil traded in the world.

"This missile evades sonar technology under the water and even if the enemy sonar system could detect its movement under the water, no warship could escape from it because of its high velocity," Revolutionary Guards Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said.

[edit on 2-4-2006 by Mehran]

[Mod Edit: Link format - Jak]

[edit on 3/4/06 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Its speed is great, but what about range? Only a few km... How will you get close enough to a ship to launch it? The USN is protected by ASW helicopters and aircraft dropping sonobuoys everywhere. If that tropedo can hit a plane or a helicopter then that might be something

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taishyou
Its speed is great, but what about range? Only a few km... How will you get close enough to a ship to launch it? The USN is protected by ASW helicopters and aircraft dropping sonobuoys everywhere. If that tropedo can hit a plane or a helicopter then that might be something

good question, it can be launched from our kilos and the missile boats we have. Sina-1 and 2 destroyers will also have that capability. If we are attacked than this leaves all of US warships and submarines are within our range and we will cause serious damage. We are also currently working on a new submarine capable of holding this missile called "whale". Also the missile we made is faster than Indias brahmos

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran

good question, it can be launched from our kilos and the missile boats we have. Sina-1 and 2 destroyers will also have that capability. If we are attacked than this leaves all of US warships and submarines are within our range and we will cause serious damage. We are also currently working on a new submarine capable of holding this missile called "whale". Also the missile we made is faster than Indias brahmos

No I mean how will the kilos and missile boats get that close to say a US CVBG to launch it? The torpedo only has a range of several km. To get withink 10km will be really hard for the sub, and for the missile boat it's just impossible. US CVBGs operate very far away from the coast and they have ASW heli and aircraft patrols to prevent submarines from getting close.

[edit on 2-4-2006 by Taishyou]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
bro kilo subs are pretty hard to detect and the missile boats could pop out of nowhere. Seriously how would they know where all of our warships or missile boats would be?. Thats why its so deadly...we could just pop out of nowhere launch the missile and there you have it a destroyer, submarine or even a frigate had just been blown out the water. I suspect we could make a different versian of it with more range in kilometers. What country are you from by the way?.

(Mod edit: removed unecessary quote of the entire previous post)

[edit on 2006/4/3 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Seriously how would they know where all of our warships or missile boats would be?. Thats why its so deadly...we could just pop out of nowhere...

Umm... its called radar, you might want to look it up, bro, and also helos can carry sonar and other detection systems. So, where were you going to pop up again?

[edit on 2-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Seriously how would they know where all of our warships or missile boats would be?. Thats why its so deadly...we could just pop out of nowhere launch the missile and there you have it a destroyer, submarine or even a frigate had just been blown out the water. I suspect we could make a different versian of it with more range in kilometers.

and what makes you think there aren't any subs trailing the war games currently? would it suprise you to find out that a couple of ohio or la class subs were in the area and trailing iranian ships

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
To avoid detection, I would think they would task a Seawolf, the quietest sub in the world, even more so than our Ohio SSBN's. I dont know about detection range on any of the US subs, but I do know that a kilo going agains an ASW net probably wont get close enough to launch, either becuase it gets hit, or has to bug out. SH-60's dropping active sonobuoys could get a bearing on it fairly quickly.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Why does a discussion about an rather interesting new weapon have to be derailed yet again by chest-thumping about how unbeatable the US is?

I suspect that the Iranians are not the only ones active in this area, and perhaps not even the most advanced. Supercavitation will allow for extremely fast underwater travel (hundreds and potentially thousands of miles per hour). This is undoubtedly going to transform underwater warfare at some point, especially given the limits of sonar and DE weapons in this realm.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hi Mehran,

I'll appreciate if could provide any information regarding Iranian manufacture of Shkval.

When manufacturing was established, who built the facilities, was Russia involved in the setting up of the facilities, is there any documented cooperation effort between Iran and Russia on the project, etc.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It would be much better if the missile flies through the air like a normal missile for a few deca km, and THEN dives and supercavitates. That would increase its range by a lot. If it keeps to being underwater its range is too small.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I guess Iranian naval commander has already answered your question:

"The boats that can launch this missile have a technology that makes them stealthy and nobody could recognize them or act against them
," he added.
www.washingtonpost.com...

KEEP IT REAL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
More Earthquakes

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Monday it would test fire a powerful torpedo and more missiles as part of a week of wargames in the Gulf, the spokesman for the naval manoeuvres told state television.

"A powerful torpedo made by experts of the Revolutionary Guards will be test fired today in the Persian Gulf. Tomorrow, we will see other missile test firings by the Revolutionary Guards in the 'Great Prophet' war games," Rear Admiral Dehqani told television, which only gave his family name.

"We are going to have very important news that will make our nation proud in the next few days," he added. The week of wargames started on Friday.

Western nations have been watching developments in Iran's missile capabilities with concern amid a standoff over the Iranian nuclear programme, which the West says is aimed at building atomic bombs. Iran says the programme is only civilian.

Iran earlier in the wargames said it had tested a radar-evading missile and a fast, underwater missile. Iran has a commanding position over the Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Gulf, a major shipping route for oil.

Analysts say the United States could take military action against Iran if it fails to resolve the nuclear dispute through diplomatic means. Iranian commanders say their armed forces are ready to respond to any attack.

Very Important News That Will Make Our Nation Proud: Are they going to test a nuke?

KEEP IT REAL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

bro kilo subs are pretty hard to detect and the missile boats could pop out of nowhere.

(Mod edit: removed unecessary quote of the entire previous post)

[edit on 2006/4/3 by Hellmutt]

The ocean is virtually transparent to satellites. US space assets can also detect subs by their magnetic anomaly. Additionally, the US recently conclude war games with Sweden to learn to detect AER (is this right?) Subs, that is, diesel subs that carry liquid O2 on board to increase their endurance.

On another issue, you have to be seriously damaged to thinks it's a good idea for those 15 century, sharia retards to have access to nuclear weapons.

www.fas.org...

Apparently fired from standard 533mm torpedo tubes, Shkval has a range of about 7,500 yards. The weapon clears the tube at fifty knots, upon which its rocket fires, propelling the missile through the water at 360 kph [about 100 m/sec / 230 mph / 200-knots], three or four times as fast as conventional torpedoes. The solid-rocket propelled "torpedo" achieves high speeds by producing a high-pressure stream of bubbles from its nose and skin, which coats the torpedo in a thin layer of gas and forms a local "envelope" of supercavitating bubbles. Carrying a tactical nuclear warhead initiated by a timer, it would destroy the hostile submarine and the torpedo it fired. The Shkval high-speed underwater missile is guided by an auto-pilot rather than by a homing head as on most torpedoes.

You can bet Iran won't get a rowboat with several miles of anything we don't want them to.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This upsets me...

I designed a thing like this a year ago, on paper and with a few friends...

However, the design I have to 10x's more deadly and a much further range. So I'm not to mad... just suprised Iran's designs got so close to my personal designs!

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
OMG the LA boats are the best in the world

and thats why in an exercise they got sunk by AUS subs

nuke boats are noisey - you can quote *yes but the new seawolf is 1000000 x quieter undway than a 688 is at port`

its still 100000x noisier than a diesel boat

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm not really sure wht the big deal is here
Sure it's fast but so what it lacks in every other area. Most torpdeos can't be interecepted anyway.

Here are a few reasons why the Shkval is no big deal.

• WARHEAD
    • Shkval warhead is around 210kg - lightweight compare to other heavyweight torpdoes/
    • MK-48 has a warhead of almost 300kg whilst contemporary Russian torpedos have a warhead of around 400-450 kg TNT equivalents for 533mm weapons.

• RANGE
    • Shkval range is around 7500 yards.
    • Mk-48 ADCAP has a range of 42 500 yards at 55 knots whilst Russian 533mm weapons have a range of 20-40 000 yards

• GUIDANCE Last but not least is the guidance. The Shkval has no on board guidance it is essentailly a dumb weapon. Torpedos such as the Mk-48 can be guided using FO's and can even be used as an offboard sensor, they can almost be classes as brilliant weapons. They can also autonomously track and attack targets using passive and active guidance.

A ship or sub would have about as much chance as stopping a MK-48 as a Skval and as above the Mk-48 carries a far heavier warhead, has a quantum leap in range and is also extremely sophisticated.
The Shkval looks impressive on TV that's about it.

BTW, this is hardly an Iranian achievement as they are either weapons bought directly from Russia or copies of weapons bought from Russia.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Good post, Mad Scientist.

I was going to reply to all the previous babble touting this Shkval-like weapon, but after reading your post I see no need to do so...

Emphasis on the fact that this weapon is unguided. Considering the range, warhead, and the fact that it is unguided, you would be better off investing in an 8" naval gun. You would get the same basic destructive power and performance.

But then again, you have to understand the operating circumstances of the Iranian Navy. They know very well that they cannot operate major surface combatants, as they would be sitting ducks for the vast array of air, surface, and subsurface oppenents they would be facing. So, the Iranian military is being forces to develop weapons that are small, easily concealable (hide one on a fishing boat or small surface transport), and hit hard. Their only chance would be to sneak up on a surface combatant, and unload a shot at very short range. But then again, if you look at the operations of the Iraninan Navy and the IRGC over the last 20 years, they have perfected that tactic.

A good nickname/analogy for this weapon would be "switchblade" - sucker someone in close and stab them when they are not expecting it.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Pentagon has confirmed the possiblity of production of such advanced missiles indigenously in Iran, though claims Iranians have been known also to boast and exaggerate their capabilities. Apparently, I was wrong.

Reuters:

The Pentagon said on Monday it is possible Iran has produced missiles capable of evading radar and sonar as Tehran has stated in recent days, but added that the Iranians have been known to "boast and exaggerate."

"We know that the Iranians are always trying to improve their weapons systems by both foreign and indigenous measures. It's possible that they are increasing their capability and making strides in radar-absorbing materials and targeting," said Bryan Whitman, a senior Pentagon spokesman.

"However, the Iranians have been known also to boast and exaggerate their statements about great technical and tactical capabilities," Whitman added.

"Iran's military developments have centred on its ballistic missile program, which Tehren views as its primary deterrent. It has the largest inventory of ballistic missiles in the Middle East," Whitman said. "Over the past year, Iran has continued testing its medium-range ballistic missiles, and has also tested anti-ship missiles," Whitman added.

KEEP IT REAL

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No I mean how will the kilos and missile boats get that close to say a US CVBG to launch it? The torpedo only has a range of several km. To get withink 10km will be really hard for the sub, and for the missile boat it's just impossible. US CVBGs operate very far away from the coast and they have ASW heli and aircraft patrols to prevent submarines from getting close.

[edit on 2-4-2006 by Taishyou]

Maybe the Iranian subs will just sit quietly and totally undetected on the bottom of the shallow Gulf ready to pounce when required.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join