It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting whois result...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

This is a partial result of a 'whois' lookup on an ip in my firewall logs. The source port was 62026 and 62710. Destination port was 23114. Interesting.

inetnum: 85.37.190.0 - 85.37.190.255
netname: ENTE-MILITARE-ALLEATO-USANATO-US-NAVY-NAPOLI
descr: ENTE MILITARE ALLEATO USA/NATO-US NAVY NAPOLI
admin-c: VP978-RIPE
tech-c: VP978-RIPE
mnt-by: INTERB-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

Are you kidding me? A joint US/NATO network in Italy?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Been using P2P programs?

ref

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
P2P makes my security gland go bonkers. Never, ever, utilize P2P, Kazaa, bittorrent, or any other 'sharing' or peer to peer utility.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Ahh, you don't know what you're missing. The PBS documentaries you can download

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That's probably true...but I just can't do it. I work in the IT field and spend hours cleaning infections and viruses from pcs. My personal network is far too important to take chances with....However, if I were visiting and using your pc...

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Oh, that's understandable. Every month I will spend a couple of hours cleaning my sister's PC of infections from virii and spyware. Its not much fun, but if I don't do it then she'll start messing with my PC instead

Can't you use an isolated PC behind a personal firewall? You know, just connected the WAN, but not necessarily the LAN?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
what the heck does the OP's post have to do with p2p programs.. he noticed a wierd whois on an ip... why don't u people read before replying?

And you can quite safely use a p2p program if you know hpw to et up a firewall and don't accept incoming connections on the p2p prog..

Usually, with a good firewall setup, all the virii that do come in are the result of you clicking something that you didn't carefully examine first..

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks, but in reference to the original post...why do you suppose I have an ip from a NATO network scanning my network on unassigned ports?

And cleaning viruses and malware from 'one' pc, is a completely different animal from being responsible for 500 pcs. You tend to develop a different mindset.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by NotClever]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   

phiniks
what the heck does the OP's post have to do with p2p programs.. he noticed a wierd whois on an ip... why don't u people read before replying?

Read the link I provided, and you'll have answered your own questions.

NotClever
why do you suppose I have an ip from a NATO network scanning my network on unassigned ports?

I dont know. I was guessing that you were using peer guardian, and/or P2P's like the article I linked describes. There are Very limited references to that organization, and I posted one of the few.

I do note that more detailed IP info suggests a possible co-location of Alabama.

top topics

join