It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I quit smoking?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
How can I quit smoking?

I tried to quit over 100 times, I cannot quit smoknig more than a day. Once I was able not to smoke for a weak.

It is realy very hard to quit .. cigarettes are very essential for me.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A support group is always good...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

If you have any children, family, whatever you cherish most in life, How about putting a picture of them in the next pack you buy.

These death darts have taken members of my family, Don't let this happen to you.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deep_Blue
I tried to quit over 100 times,

Keep trying. It took me 5 years of quitting to finally stop for good. I even stopped smoking for a year and picked it up again.
One thing I found helpful was to stay away from smokers. It is so easy just to bum a smoke from a friend.
If you have been trying cold turkey but find that you don’t have the strength to do it you should consider the patch or the nicotine gum.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Just do it. Like Nike said.

I smoked over a pack a day for 10 years and one day I just decided that if I was no stronger than a simple addiction, what was I more powerful than? How can I truely be in control of life if I am unable to curb something this small? Its just a cigerette. Dont let it control you. Its all mental.

I threw out half a pack over a year and a half ago and I havent looked back. I dont miss it a bit. Mind over matter, my friend. Mind over matter.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
consider the patch or the nicotine gum.

THe patch and gums did't work for me.. I think smoking is a habit more than the need of nicotine.
damn.. Iam smoking while Iam writing this.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Deep_Blue]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

damn.. Iam smoking while Iam writing this.

What would happen if you mashed up the rest of your cigarettes and tossed them in the trash?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   
DaFunk13
I wish I have strong will like yours.
I threw many cigarettes packs over the years but still couldn't quit.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Deep_Blue]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

What would happen if you mashed up the rest of your cigarettes and tossed them in the trash?

I can do that , but after a couple of hours my head will start to explode and I will rush to the nearest market

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I recommend letting your head explode.

Why do you want to quit smoking? Does the suffering of not giving in to your addiction out weigh your reason for quitting?

I think maybe you should look into hypnosis.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Every time you have a cigarette, but atleast $1 into a jar and begin to save up your money. After while you will not beable to afford to smoke.

Unless you begin to pay for cigarettes out of this money.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Why do you want to quit smoking?

because every time I go up stairs I start gasping like a dog.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

because every time I go up stairs I start gasping like a dog.

When things like this become more important to you than smoking, you will quit. I smoked over a pack a day for 30 years and I quit 5 years ago. I had tried many times and one time it worked.

Try different methods of quitting. What finally worked for me was a combination of switching to herbal cigarettes and the nicotine patch. I didn't use a whole patch, though, I cut it in half and only used 1/2 for a few days, then cut them into thirds.

I got an herbal smokers blend at the herb store and a box of filtered papers, a roller and rolled my own. The sage smells marvelous! I cut down to 9 cigs the first day and continued to cut down. I had quit completely in about 3 weeks. But I still smoke an herbal now and then. Haven't had one for a year, but I still have the herbal blend in case I need it.

Good luck to you and stop counting your attempts. Just keep trying! Millions of people have quit smoking. You can, too!

Here's a PODcast about it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
. At least now I can climb stairs, play hockey, and box more than two rounds. Like BH said, when the health implications seem to outweigh the addiction you will quit. Its the people who dont mind gasping for air, all the way to an early death that never quit...its nothing to do with weak will. Will is something created by us to justify being a wimp. Sorry for the harsh words, but you are better, and stronger than a simple nicotine addiction...I promise.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by asala]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Deep_Blue

I just quit, around Christmas. A lot of the people in this thread helped me through, some also quit with me. If you read through the thread that Chissler mentioned, you can see lots of techniques and advice. I posted my progress in the form of the results of my doctor visits.

I reasoned that I was smoking, just to maintain normalcy. The same normalcy
that I had before I even smoked. Sure, the first few smokes give you a sort of nicotine buzz..But after that, I was merely smoking to NOT become foggy headed, and grouchy. Just to maintain a regular mental and physical state.
Something I can do for free now..Just had to get over the hump..

In my case, I took time off from work, when my wife was out of town.
I just started paying attention to the triggers, trying to avoid those situations. If they were unavoidable situations, I made note. Sometimes I would smoke anyway. But over time, the non-smoking part of me began to take hold. The slips became less and less frequent. I used the gum, by the way. I still use it now, but even that is becoming less and less.

It's good that you have tried to quit before, keep trying. Don't beat yourself up, for falling off the butt-wagon. Just consider it time spent as a non-smoker.
And try again.

Feel free to visit the thread mentioned above, or U2U me, or post in your thread here..I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

And keep thinking about quitting..You'll know when you are ready..

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I can sympathise Deep, I have tried to stop, managed 17 days.
Theres a new thing to help stop. Its in London though so bit difficult for me.
I will go find link and put it up.
Apparently it really works. You feel like you have never been a smoker so dont crave.
It cancels out all the nicotine in your body, apparently when you have a bath, the water turns orange because your body rejects the nicotine.
I am hoping to get it done one day. Its not too expensive. Anyway they may do it wherever you are.
Good luck.
The most important thing is to never give up giving up.

(I will go search for link)

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
sorry the link doesnt work (I dont know why) but if you type in the address it should come up.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Why don't you just stop being a big baby about it and quit?

Consider this: During the Vietnam war, a lot of soldiers did a lot of different kinds of drugs to get through, many of them highly addictive, like heroin. But when they got their orders and got on a plane to come home, that was the end of it for most of them. Very, very few stayed addicted to one of the most addictive drugs on Earth.

What does that tell you? It means you should just quit and shut up about it. Cowboy up. Stop being such a nice person.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I applaud everyone who has given support here.

I was a smoker, too. I quit even though my husband refused to help me. He, my friends, and my parents still smoked. it was very hard to do, but once you get past the barriers, and the triggers (like someone else mentioned), you will overcome. It has been 2 years, 3 months, 23 days, 19 hours, and 1 minute. But who's counting?

I used a clicky pen to overcome the habit of the "Grab". A pen that you can click to retract the ball point. Drives people crazy, but it kept my hands busy. Try cross stiching, video games, something to keep the hands from the "Grab".

Smoke as soon as you wake up? Take a shower. Smoke with coffee in the morning (a tough one!) ? Drink the coffee standing up, or take a travel mug and stand on the porch.

Oh, and that load of BS "I have too much stress.." I want you to tell me when you can schedule stress to occur. Yes, stress will happen, and that's when you take a deep breath and say "I can do this." Give yourself 5 minutes. Believe in yourself.

You will smell better. Your sense of taste will come back. The yellow tinge on your fingers will disappear.

Have faith in yourself. You can do it. Re-read that! You can do it.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
cowboy up? you mean like the marlboro man?

imo. nevah surrender.

or you could smoke those nasty kretek cigs
or those XTC cigs that have catnip in them... those should make ya wanna hurl and feels tupid at the same time not stupid as in oooh i cant feel my face but stupid as in hey... this... IS CATNIP!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join