It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We have cd's, dvd's,hd-dvd's and bluray-dvd's-they all use the same size disk, but storage ranges from 700MB to 25 GB.

The real difference is the color of the laser used and the size of the pits they create.

CD=1.6 Micrometers (red laser)
DVD=1.14 micrometers (red laser)
HD-DVD=.62 Micrometers (blue laser)
bluray-Dv.48 micrometers (blue laser)

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Also note that with increasingly smaller laser beam size, the chance of errors increases. At least I have had some personal experiences regarding this. Also don't forget, that there are several different dvd formats, besides the ones you had mentioned. Just wanted to add that little bit of information.

One day we will probaly have compact digital storage the size of a quarter, that can hold several hundred gigabytes of data. (Just a prediction of mine, not exactly fact.)

[edit on 3/17/2006 by larry994]

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by larry994
One day we will probaly have compact digital storage the size of a quarter, that can hold several hundred gigabytes of data. (Just a prediction of mine, not exactly fact.)

Actually, Larry, back when NASA was designing the Space Shuttle they contracted IBM to create/design a 2Gb hard drive the size of a dime. Now, considering that was over 20 years ago I would think your prediction is not far off, if hasn't already come to be.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Actually, Larry, back when NASA was designing the Space Shuttle they contracted IBM to create/design a 2Gb hard drive the size of a dime. Now, considering that was over 20 years ago I would think your prediction is not far off, if hasn't already come to be.

I did'nt know that, good point though. But probably not ready for plug-n-play just yet.

new topics

top topics

join