It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking- Car Bomb Explodes in Paris Suburb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A car bomb exploded on a Paris highway Wednesday, killing the occupant. The police are investigating, but have made a statement to the press indicating the vehicle's occupant was 'previously known' to authorities. They also put forward a theory that the bomb could have been a revenge attack, though they have not yet said who might have engineered the explosion, or who, exactly, the occupant of the vehicle was. Details are elusive at the moment.

Link
A car blew up in a Paris suburb Wednesday, killing the occupant, French media said. Police had no immediate comment.

LCI television reported that the car's owner was previously known to the police, and investigators suspect the bombing may have been a revenge attack. The car exploded on a highway that runs by the suburb of La Courneuve.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, there isn't much at the moment, hopefully more details will emerge soon. There are a couple of possibilities, though at this point it would probably be premature to start speculating.

I will say this though, when I first saw the story I thought perhaps the French intelligence services had some luck remotely detonating a terrorist car bomb. That would be a wonderful trick to dissuade people from utilizing explosives, if the authorities could blow you and your ride sky high from a safe distance, before you got anywhere near your target.

More to come on this, I hope.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 15-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

Mod Edit: title

[edit on 16-3-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yes, it does seem too early too give an opinion one way or the other.

But about remotely detonating car bombs.. sure, it would be nice, but I don't get the logistics of how the authorities would gain access unless the detonator was electronic and would accept remote commands. Then I would worry that if the authorities could get access to that, how did they know, and what else can they gain access to? My cell phone sitting in the center console? The engine control module of the car? My BRAIN!?!?!?!

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The French newspaper LeMonde reports this particular assasination technique is regulary used by criminal groups. The article sais the boobytrap charge was placed in front of the drivers seat.
A passenger in the car was wounded and taken to the hospital, he is out of danger. LeMonde (In French only)

It's most likely a drugs money related assasination, there is a gang war going on here in Amsterdam as well, for the past 6 years.

[edit on 3-15-2006 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Good find, Zion Mainframe

People ought to know that terrorists aren't the only group who use car-bombs.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for that info Zion.

That would explain a lot about the police having 'prior knowledge' of the suspect. I had no idea about the passenger either. That's a pretty precise charge, to kill the driver and leave the passenger with minor injuries. Nifty.

Could you give us any more information on the groups involved? I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of European organized crime. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Could you give us any more information on the groups involved? I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of European organized crime. Thanks.

Well neither do I, so I can't really provide more insight into European organized crime. Here in Holland there is a 'war' going on between Dutch drugs criminals, and Yugoslavian gangsters, which are taking over the business.
What the Yugo's do is bring over a couple of guys, and have them observe a Dutch top criminal. Then after a couple of days, they've worked out the targets routine and go for the kill. They usually do drive-by's, with either cars or scooters. Then before nightfall, they're most likely already well underway back to Yugoslavia. I've never of boobytrap explosives being used here in Holland, but they're deffinately capable of pulling such a stunt off.

There are hardly any well known Dutch criminals left, they've all been killed. One was recently shot and killen in Indonesia, and two other well known criminals were liquidated the same week!
I'm pretty sure this stuff goes on in France as well.

top topics

join