It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Est -- Landmark -- Werner Erhard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hello everybody.

Need some help from my people on this one!
So if you know of this: "Landmark" / "Est" / Werner Erhard, I would be greatful from any perspective my ATS peers could lend on a subject that is seemingly ATS relevant.

Both of my parents were involved in a program named Est. My mother was apparently pretty involved, high ranking (?) under Mr. Erhard, way back before my time when this thing was popular. Apparently she became disillusioned/disappointed and broke away long ago.

However, I was talking to my father, a damned successful, relatively powerful guy,as well as another lady who was a relatively successful/powerful manager in corporate America over cocktails at dinner, and they both strongly recommended that I do the initiation phase of it. They were unaware initially that eachother had done the Est training and I could see that it had a powerful effect on each of them.

I really know nothing of what is really involved, but I was repeatedly told that it would instill a sort of Integrity, Focus, and Inner Strength that would be perfect for me at this point in my life (27).

But I would like some conspiracy detectives who paid attention to this "fad" / phenomenon to chime with any info they know of it or anything they remember from the time of its peak popularity.

Any info welcome.

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Back in the early 70s in Big Sur I attended "come on" introductory session hosted by Werner Erhard himself. As a grad student/alcoholic, I thought the training fees were a bit steep so that was the extent of my personal involvement.

Some of my more affluent friends however completed the training and became insufferable, arrogant twits until reality reared its ugly head and took them down a notch or two. From them I gathered that it was one big self affirmation, pep rally, self hypnosis course mainly designed to give the ego an enormous boost. And to separate you from $385.

What the hell, try it.

[edit on 12-3-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Would that place in Big Sur you went to be called Esalen?

I went there for a weekend in December of 1981 with my brother on Winter Break from UCSB. My sister and her husband were there on a work study program at the time. I went for a soak in the hotsprings, tried meditation, and assisted in the kitchen with clean-up after meals.

The scenery is beyond beautiful and magnificent, the people were nice and very 'down to earth', and though I wasn't there long enough to really say anything about the program, the experience was relaxing and enjoyable.

I'm not too sure about est, btw. I did find ann interesting link about Esalen and est, though.

The Esalen-est Connection

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Icarus it was at the Esalen Inst. and your description of "beyond Beautiful" was perfect. Counter culture Heaven at the time and may still be for all I know. My only forays to California now sadly are on business and in LA. I think LA is beautiful but in kind of a Q. Tarantino way.

I still fondly remember my Grad school days at Cal State Hayward and Berkeley. The Bay Area sure has changed!!

top topics

join