It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I could go for some PARANOIA!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
No, not in the psychological sense (I've got enough of that already), I'm talking about the fantastic, 80's-era RPG by West End Games set in a darkly humorous future. For the uninitiated:

Paranoia (wikipedia)

from the wikipedia article
Intended as a spoof on other RPGs, the Paranoia rulebook is unique in a number of ways. For example, in earlier versions of Paranoia, the entire chapter on rules is labeled 'optional', and player knowledge of the rules is treasonous (treason, of course, being punishable by summary execution). Most of the rulebook is written in an easy, conversational tone that scoffs at how screwed the players are and frequently takes potshots at other notable RPGs. It also had outrageous mechanics--such as the 'Falling From Great Heights' table, which would start with a five-foot fall and end in a category labeled 'Orbital' (which has actually been used in official supplements).

The only RPG I ever had any interest in, I have fond memories of being blasted, blown up, backstabbed, beheaded, crushed, drowned, and poisoned, possibly in that order, usually in the first five minutes of gameplay. Not to worry, in this game, one's replacement clone was always standing ready, often delivered by 1000mm long-range artillery shell to the precise location of your demise to resume gameplay uninterrupted. In fact, I think one time I was killed by the accidental premature arrival of my own clone via 1000mm cannon... ah, good times. Can't wait until the kids are old enough to justify dusting off the manual.

Anybody else ever play this game?

Salt-Y-MAN

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'd really like to give it a try myself! The wikipedia article links to a Paranoia Online version - and if you orchestrate something for that I'll give it a go

join