It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At home sick, favorite cold remedies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Thats why so many posts this morning. Anyone wanna give me their mother's tried and true cures?

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm not exactly sure whether this is a bona-fide "home remedy" or the cause of my P.T.S.D (post traumatic stress disorder). Still, it might be helpful. When I was a little kid (too young to put up a good resistance) my mother would slather Vick's Vapo-Rub all over my neck and chest (ugh). Then she would wrap my throat with a wool scarf.

This was the treatment that my mom would prescribe when I had a sore throat, cough and chest cold. I'm not certain whether this "rememdy" actually had any medical merit but I always recovered. However, I now have an unnatural abhorrance of the anything slick, slimy or greasy being applied to my chest or neck. As a kid, all I could do was "lie there" , trying not to move a muscle as movement would make me aware of the disgusting sensation of Vicks on my throat, neck and chest. Inevitably I would drift off and fall asleep.

I always woke up feeling better than I had before and my mother always gave all the credit to Vicks' Vapo Rub.

Now when my kids' have bad chest colds, I , of course, turn to Vick's Vapo Rub too. Unfortunately, I can't find the orignial greasy goop in a blue jar that my mom had used. Now it's a cream and the kids don't seem to mind it as much as I hated the original Vick's goo.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I can still find the gooey vix! and yes I use in on my kids too as I learned from my mom as well. Also we always made hot lemonaid with real lemons. It would help with a sore throat and chest congestion. I also use a tablespoon of honey with some drops of lemon added in and sprinkle ceyenne pepper. It opens up the air passages and soothes at the same time. When I was a little kid, I knew an old man who would eat a sweet onion like an apple once a week. He swore to me that he never had a cold or the flu......but his breath!!!!!!

join