It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush - $70 Billion for war - $4 Billion for Katrina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Just when you think old curious George couldn't screw up any more than he already has, he never seems to suprise you. Bush is asking for $70 Billion MORE dollars from our tax payers to pay for this godawful pointless war, yet only $4 Billion to help rebuild after the devestation from the hurricane in New Orleans. The worst part, the only portion of that $70 Billion being sent to Iraq that will be used for reconstruction - will be to build more prisons!!

Is this just a case of Bush throwing more money blindly at a quagmire that he refuses to admit is not winable? Isn't it sickening that Haliburton will make all of this money - OUR money- from government contracts, while our citizens here continue to foot the bill and get the shaft? It would be one thing if the $70 Billion was to be used for better equiptment (body armor?) to protect our guys over there. Or even for rebuilding the destruction that the Iraqi people are forced to live in (no electricity, clean water etc) but it seems to me that this money will just disappear into thin air, like so many billions that have been misplaced and misused already.

Couldn't this money be used for better purposes here in the U.S. like our decrepit, inferior public school systems, domestic aide, or to help stimulate the economy to promote economic growth? As an American tax payer I would much rather have my money go toward building houses for displaced AMERICAN hurricane victims than to see it sent overseas to help maim and imprison more people. To me there is absolutely NO legitimate excuse for the way Bush is throwing our dollars down the toilet. We are getting deeper into debt every day (to red China no doubt) in order to finance Georgie boys cataclysmic mistake. Here is an idea! Let's just build enough prisons to house every threatening non Christian non American in the whole world, or better yet everyone who doesn't agree with us... yeee haw!

Does this whole thing just make you kinda sick? When is enough, enough?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yes it is sickening but you know the drill, we need to keep pushing democracy on those third world countries with oil.

Also we need to keep haliburton making a living.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Im not American but for a start the war has been going on longer and the money spent on Katrina. Katrina is in America and people help people for free if they can and that cut costs. The wind came free it cost nothing to make as war costs money to make. Wait till its over and you will see Katrina cost a lot more in 5 years time. Its not as bad as one thinks.

But if you had 74billion to spend at once at least half should go to the tax payers and not to a nation of people who once have a nation rebuilt will probably try to destroy America with vengance anyway. Just give these people power they will soon want nuclear power.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Yes, godforbid we spend $70 billion to pay for college tuitions for the US's various citizens.

But, in order to stop a quagmire (gigiddy gigiddy gigiddy) there needs to be a grassroots movement from the people of America. Senators and Congressmen are not going to end this. Very few have the balls to stand up and say what most of people are thinking and saying.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The money is not only being used to build prisons. The finances proposed are also to build embassies as well. The shame of the matter is that a friend of mine from Florida told me that people are still living in trailers since the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. GW's brother, Jeb, is governor of Florida! You can certainly expect what's going to happen to people in Louisiana. Sadly enough, GW's plea to throw money at an unwinnable war tells you exactly where his priorities lie.

Gee, I wonder if Kanye West's comments at the Katrina Telethon right?

top topics

join