It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotic "pack" mule. This is pretty cool.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

A nimble, four-legged robot is so surefooted it can recover its balance even after being given a hefty kick. The machine, which moves like a cross between a goat and a pantomime horse, is being developed as a robotic pack mule for the US military.

This is pretty neat. I wonder what it would take for the Military to implement this (when it comes to finances, etc.)
How likely do you think it is that the Military will use these robots? How long do you think it will take to implement? Do you think a robot like this can be cost-effective?
Since it can carry 40kg (about 88 lbs.), and that is 30% of it's weight, I'm guessing each one weighs about 133 kg. (that's about 293 lbs.) It runs on Petrol,....... I wonder how many miles it can walk before running out of gas, and how much additional petrol they would have to bring along.
Not enough info in the article.

[edit on 3-3-2006 by 2manyquestions]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
hahaha that robots a pansy compared to this little beauty (huge B###### actually!
)

Heres the link to the small video of this military robot in action! its real freaky but the next weapons of war may walk in on feet not on wheels or tracks!
www.freepressinternational.com...

its a small video but its a cool one.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
hahaha that robots a pansy compared to this little beauty (huge B###### actually!
)

Heres the link to the small video of this military robot in action! its real freaky but the next weapons of war may walk in on feet not on wheels or tracks!
www.freepressinternational.com...

its a small video but its a cool one.

Holy crap! Is that thing for real? If so, It is terribly cool.
Thanks for that link. That was great.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Oh yeah that babies the real deal in the robotics world.. Cool isn't it??

Glad you liked it... digging for cool items is my crack coc aine...addictive but pleasurable.... ATS is addictive! ROFL 0200 hrs here in UK and still im digging away....

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
Oh yeah that babies the real deal in the robotics world.. Cool isn't it??

Glad you liked it... digging for cool items is my crack coc aine...addictive but pleasurable.... ATS is addictive! ROFL 0200 hrs here in UK and still im digging away....

ATS is definitely addictive.
There are just so many things to explore, and so much information! Very interesting stuff. That spider robot was definitely cool.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
They may be ok for behind the scenes pack carrying but you couldn't take one onto a battlefield. As noisy as those things are the soldiers would shoot it even if it was on their side. Right now they are just way to loud and annoying.

Its a kewl glimpse into the future though.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Thats pretty impressive...and I though Sony's Qrio robot was the best at keeping its balanced after being pushed.....But that this handled on all terrain and big kicks...very impressive.

The Bigdog bot is pretty noisy...which will have to be dealt with before they go operational, but I think it will be nearly a decade before these are deployed in any "real" numbers. The have plenty of potential though, for a variety of roles. I read something not to long ago about some new break through is nano-(something) batteries...which is what will be needed, engines are just to loud, it makes more sense to take the engine out and replace it with a battery

As for the spider robot...Its not related to any military projects...It was built as a prototype for future logging vehicle, todays loggers leave wheel tracks and damage the environment, the legged one has a small much softer footprint, making it better for the environment. I believe its built by John Deere.

Heres a pic with some bags on it...It can carry 120 lbs. Its speed is 3.3 mph...which isn't to bad, since the average person walks at 2-4 mph.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   
We'll soon have Mechwarriors...

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
WOH that spider thing is very scary looking!!!! But I doubt that walking robots or vehicles will be practical for along time just because of the maintinance issues in a battlefield enviroment. It is neat to see the development of such things however.

top topics

join