It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corruption is a pre-requisite of governments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Why are we so suprised when a scandal breaks out identifying government officials as being involved in some sort of deception? This kind of thing has happened throughout our past and will continue to happen long into the future. Aren't we already aware of this when we vote governments into power. The longer a government stays in power the more likely it is to deceive the citizens in some capacity. let's just accept it and move on.

A classic example is the Australian Wheat Board Scandal that has recently come to light involving kick backs to the Australian government in return for supplying wheat to Saddam-led Iraqi regime. As you would expect the Primeminister has denied all knowledge, but it has come to light that it is almost certain that he was fully aware of it all from day one. Obviously he wants to deny this in order to stay in power come election time.

However, despite the fact I don't like the guy, and would love to see him ousted, I am not shocked by this revelation, nor do I feel it warrants the ire of the electorate. If an opportunity came up to bring in funds for the country, at the expense of supporting a cause that we are completely opposed to, I would expect the government to act in this way. Try and keep it a secret and hope that enough time passes to achieve what they need to before getting found out. That's what government do!

Why persecute someone for acting in exactly the manner that we all knew he would when we voted him in? Am I alone on this?

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's my opinion that you can only be 'allowed' to reach positions of power in this world by being corrupt. If you were truly a good person and wanted to do the right thing and make a change for good, you would have very little chance of getting anywhere near the reigns of power and influence.
The only way to get there would possibly be by stealth, pretending to be corrupt and then making an apparent 'about face' when in a position of influence. But of course you wouldn't last long in that position if you chose not to 'play the game'.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I agree. If you try to play the straight and narrow, your peers will soon turn against you and overthrow you. Corruption is the only way one can prosper in government.

join