It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SADM and Davy Crockett Battlefield Nukes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Anybody know what a SADM (yep, pronounced Saddam) and a Davy Crockett have in common?
No?
Then read on…

SBS Dateline Transcript,
(How The US Learned To Love The Bomb (Again);
Aired 1 March 2006, Australia;
From;
news.sbs.com.au...#

Love that SADM hey?
If that ain’t a Terrorist Weapon, I don’t know what is.
Strapping a Tactical Nuclear Weapon to a Navy Diver, getting him to set a Timer, and then swim away.
The guys who tested that bastard sure had balls…
And what about the guys sweeping the Radioactive Fallout off the Davy Crockett Tactical Nuclear Weapon Cannon, with Brooms?

One can only laugh (or cry) at such idiocy…

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
HUH?

What is the point of this thread? That is terrorism? Let's go back and talk about slavery. That's terrorism against a race. What is the point?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Uh I don't get this post??How was the testing of weapons like the Davy Crockett "terrorism"when did people ever strap nukes to themselves to blow up boats?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The Point is that the only purpose of a SADM is for Terrorist use. That is the one and only point of such a weapon.
Sure, they may not have done it YET.

I (being an Australian) remember a time (not that long ago), when French Intelligence Navy Divers infiltrated a New Zealand port to BLOW UP the Rainbow Warrior (Greenpeace) ship.
This was considered an act of TERRORISM.
Refer;
www.geocities.com...

A SADM is a TERRORIST weapon (albeit that only the USA has them in their Arsenal). They admitted to still stockpiling them in the 1980s.

Imagine if somebody (say an Iraqi terrorist Group) got hold of one. Don't say it can't happen. One can quite easily (if one has a couple of Million dollars spare) get hold of a Nuclear Briefcase (ex-Soviet).

Ah, forget it, I couldn't be bothered trying to explain to such idiots as you guys who replied to the thread.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Ixataar]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The mini-nuke is to be used on the battlefield. I don't see how that is terrorism. They're going to start nuking towns and cities and hope no one notices?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Mk-54 SADM is no more a terrorist weapon then the W54-2 Davy Crockett warhead it was derived from these are called tactical nuclear weapons. Both the US and Russia created them.

These weapons were created for a war between the USSR and US.

Would they be a terrorist wet dream sure they would. But the odds are they would never get one. Its very complicated and expensive to build such a small nuclear weapons they require huge resources and know how to constuct and the powers keep a good eye on them.

The real threat is a terrorist getting their hand on weapon grade uranium which is poorly protected in some places in Russia and making a crude nuclear weapon. That really not that hard to do, but to make a nuclear weapon that could fit into a backpack thats very hard to do.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'd be far more worried about a dirty bomb of some type.A terrorist using something like the Davy Crockett is laughable.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Not to sound facetious but why the heck would they want to use a 45 year old nuke nowadays anyway???

www.brookings.edu...

www.reference.com...

Davy crockett and the Special Atomic Demolition Munition were dismantled in the 80`s - the last being decommision in 1989.The warhead was also used in the AIM-26A FALCON nuclear air to air missile, designed to destroy incoming russian nuclear bombers.

www.nv.doe.gov...

that is the video clip you mention of a swimmer delivering the charge.

no soldiers wanted to either carry a SADM or fire a davy crocket - the M-388 Davy Crocket had a max range of 4km`s in the 155mm version.

The cannon was nicknamed `atomic annie` - which ISN`T the davy crockett:

www.olive-drab.com...

Atomic annie or the M65 Atomic Cannon is 280mm , had a range of 20 miles and is based upon the German K5 Railroad Gun.

www.globalsecurity.org...

There are still 8 of the original 12 on display in the USA today.

new topics

top topics

join