It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dennis Weaver Dead at 81

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
My earliest recollection of Dennis Weaver was on Gunsmoke on which he played Chester Goode, the excitable guy with the wooden leg, opposite James Arness as Matt Dillon. I don't know if Gunsmoke was the longest running show, aside from soap operas, but it did run from 1955-1975. Dennis Weaver went from Gunsmoke to play a number of roles, including Sam McCloud, the ruggedly handsome and out-of-place country sheriff in the big city.

Weaver received an Emmy for his role as Deputy Chester Goode in “Gunsmoke” and received nominations for his role as McCloud, the Western detective who took his crime-fighting ways — and his horse — to New York City.

Weaver’s acting career spanned more than a half century, and featured him in such roles as the driver hunted by a faceless truck driver in “Duel,” and in television series stretching from the original “Dragnet” to “The Simpsons.”

Weaver starred in nine television series, including “Gentle Ben,” and was in 40 motion pictures, but it was as Chester and McCloud that he was perhaps best remembered.

www.enewscourier.com

[edit on 2006/3/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's been quite a week in Hollywood. First Don Knotts, then Darren McGavin and now Dennis Weaver! Oh my god, I just don't know if I can take handle all of this loss. I guess I'll have to sign up for some sort of berievement therapy group. I might have been able to handle the death of almost any other actor but, omg, not Dennis Weaver!

Seriously, Dennis Weaver's Gunsmoke character was also my first introduction to this fine character actor. And though I can't remember the name of the made-for -tv movie, Dennis Weaver appeared in a story about a guy driving through the desert in a Plymouth Duster that was being harrassed by a big semi rig. I think that the name was "The Duel". Nevertheless, it was a good movie and Charlie was a good actor. Again, he will be missed.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The film was called Duel, directed by Steven Spielberg. It was indeed a very riviting film, especially for TV.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Dennis Weaver was into conservation, recycling, and renewable energy. He built an Earthship out of used car tires in Ridgeway, Co.

Very cool.

new topics

top topics

join