It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Jets May Be Wave of Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
They probably won't fulfill the flying car dream, but the FAA is predicting that the advent of tiny jet aircraft weighing about the same as a minivan and with a passenger capacity of two to six may eventually number in the thousands. There are skeptics, but the FAA said that about a hundred of the crafts will be delivered this year. Initially the jets will cost about one to two million dollars each. Currently, there are three manufacturers who are vying to produce affordable jet aircraft--Cessna, Adam Aircraft, and Eclipse Aviation.

newyorktimes
Thousands of tiny new passenger jets will begin flying around the country soon, opening new travel opportunities at small airports around the country, the Federal Aviation Administration said today. The first 100 or so are expected to start flying this year, the agency said, but it also cautioned that the additional traffic could gum up the air traffic system.

In its annual aviation forecast, the F.A.A. projected sharply higher levels of non-airline flights in coming years because of the new planes, called "very light jets," which will seat four to six passengers. The new planes can fly almost as fast as an airliner, and at even higher altitudes, but will land easily at fields with 3,000-foot runways, half the length of those at big airports. With a range of 1,000 miles or more, proponents say the new jets will spawn a new generation of air taxis and charters that will carry travelers to airports within 20 minutes of their homes or destinations, at a price comparable to a coach airline ticket.

According to the F.A.A., 100 of the planes will be delivered this year, and more than 1,600 by 2010. Their cost is in the range of $1.5 million to $2.25 million, or about half what existing business jets cost.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The prices are high, so we can't expect these things to become as common as automobiles, but in that price range, more businesses will be able to save money by owning one or more of these jets, thus creating competition for airlines and prices are sure to fall as production increases. Air taxi services could proliferate with such technology. For more on this promising trend, see the links below.

Related News Links:
money.cnn.com
www.chicagotribune.com
www.grandforks.com
www.stltoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Flying cars imminent?
SCI/TECH: Flying Cars going into production

[edit on 2006/2/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The Jetsons immediately popped into my mind...

I hope I'm still around when they become commercially available. What a ride!

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The Jetsons immediately popped into my mind...

Same here, we're either getting wat too old or science is catching up to our cartoons. That's scary.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Sem's to me that this is the future tense of what the people of the 50's and 60's were trying to do with the "Flying Car in every garage" theory. It didn't happen then and I don't think they would invite now. To much terrorism and way to much big stuff flying in the air already. I actually beleive that is unrealistic and very compromising to say the least.

top topics

join