It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glacier Loss Reason for Atlantis Sinking?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I was pondering the question the other day, and I think I may have come up with a possible answer. Just some conjecture.

During the last big Ice Age, Europe was covered with glaciers. Glaciers that in addition to being cold, were also very heavy. So heavy , in fact, that they might have had the effect of compressing the crust of the Earth in such a way that it forced up the crust around it. Like pushing on the surface of a balloon. Where you push, it goes down, but elsewhere it (at least relatively) rises.

So as the glaciers melted, not only did the seas rise, which would have been bad enough, but the weight was also lifted off Europe. Then, just like it would happen on a teeter-totter (see-saw), as Europe rose, the land on the opposite side of the tectonic plate would fall.

What might be interesting if the Gulf Stream current shuts down and glaciers return to Europe, is to see if Eastern Atlantis will rise again. Of course it may take a few thousand years. Or it might not take that long, at all.

I'm not really sure if the mechanism would work that way, though. What do you think? Some kind of see-saw effect?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Atlantis supposedly fought with Athens. Did Athens exist during the last ice age?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Where was this fighting with Athens mentioned? I understood that Atlantis existed at the end of the last Ice Age. Were there people in Greece at that time? I suppose so. The glaciers didn't extend down that far.

I think it still might work.

join