It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID Security: No Chip = No Access (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
CityWatcher, a Cinncinnati based surveillance company, has introduced new security measures which require an injected RFID tag in order to access the company's datacenter. The new program was implemented with the hopes of enhancing security for the video surveillance tapes contained in the datacenter. Ironically, a recent discovery by security researcher Jonathan Westhues reveals the potential of duplicating an implant's authentication.

www.securityfocus.com
Two employees have been injected with RFID chips this week as part of a new requirement to access their company's datacenter.

Cincinnati based surveillance company CityWatcher.com created the policy with the hopes of increasing security in the datacenter where video surveillance tapes are stored. In the past, employees accessed the room with an RFID tag which hung from their keychains, however under the new regulations an implantable, glass encapsulated RFID tag from VeriChip must be injected into the bicep to gain access, a release from spychips.com said on Thursday.

Although the company does not require the microchips be implanted to maintain employment, anyone without one will not be able to access the datacenter, according to a Register article.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whether or not this is the first such instance where a company has required RFID tags to enhance security, frankly, seems irrelevant. I believe it is only a matter of time until we see a trickle-down effect resulting in a broader application of this technology. At the time of this post we are already seeing startups for several tagging related services, everything from tagging your pet to tagging your child. Perhaps the day when tagging will be a requirement for employment, not just high security positions, is not that far off.

Related News Links:
money.cnn.com
www.theregister.co.uk
www.adsx.com

[edit on 2-12-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Personally I hope this is wrong.....AND HOPEFULLY would not survive the no doubt court challange that will come with it......

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
As you say, the trickle-down on this procedure is going to go far, I believe.

Sometimes I feel so fortunate that I'm 'older' and not just starting out in the work force or just having children. I feel sorry for the young people who will have to get these chips to get a job at all... I feel sorry for them that they'll have to live in the country world that this is becoming.

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I read an article early last week that stated that the VeriChip had been hacked. So, perhaps it's not really as secure as we are led to believe!

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is the kind of thing that bothers me about the IT sector, especially since its the route I'm going after college is over with. I would definately have to switch departments if they told me I had to be chipped to go into the datacenter. While I can agree with the high security practices of such places being necessary is it really that important to start putting things inside the body of employees?

top topics

join