It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeLay Takes Cunningham's Seat on the HAC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Former House majority leader Tom Delay was named Wednesday to replace disgraced former Rep. Randy Cunningham on the powerful U.S. House Appropriations Committee. Mr. DeLay was also given a seat on a subcommittee overseeing the Justice Department. He won't be on the Defense Subcommittee, the one Cunningham chaired while taking $2.4 million in bribes to steer defense contracts, but he will serve on the Homeland Security, Science, and the Departments of State, Justice and Commerce subcommittees.

www.nctimes.com
WASHINGTON -- Indicted Rep. Tom DeLay, forced to step down as the No. 2 Republican in the House, scored a soft landing Wednesday as GOP leaders rewarded him with a coveted seat on the Appropriations Committee.

DeLay, R-Texas, also claimed a seat on the subcommittee overseeing the Justice Department, which is currently investigating an influence-peddling scandal involving disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff and his dealings with lawmakers. The subcommittee also has responsibility over NASA -- a top priority for DeLay, since the Johnson Space Center is located in his Houston-area district.

"Allowing Tom DeLay to sit on a committee in charge of giving out money is like putting Michael Brown back in charge of FEMA -- Republicans in Congress just can't seem to resist standing by their man," said Bill Burton, spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not to make this too much a partisan piece, but I have to agree with the statement by Mr. Burton. It simply doesn't make sense to me to put Mr. DeLay into these positions of authority over our resources and allocations when his prior activities have resulted in the charges he currently faces.

Standing by your man is one thing, but being supportive of a person should include encouraging him to answer to and atone for his misdeeds, as well as rewarding and encouraging him for his achievements. Or is the achievement he is being rewarded for the very same thing I see as the misdeed he should be atoning for?

Indeed, it makes me wonder.

[edit on 12-2-2006 by asala]

join