It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machu Picchu holiday photo's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I good mate of mine went to Machu Picchu and being keen on ancient & lost civilizations i told he to take photos of everything!!!!!!!!

The first one is of a rock that faces True north, A yanky tourist though this was impossible so had a compass and had to give it a try. He soon shut up

This one was very interesting to me, i have always though how they cut massive stones ? The tour guide said that the ancient Incas would insert wood dowels into the holes as you can see in the photo. Then wet the wood dowels, as so the dowels expand cracking the rock. Its amazing

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Very cool. Please post more pics. I have always been a huge admirer of all the ancient ruins in South America. I have something of a collection of pics.
If you dont mind...How much would it cost to spend a week vacation down there if you can rough it? I would love to make a trip down in the next year or so.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It's actually very easy to align anything to true north. All you need are two sticks and a piece of string.

Put one stick into the ground. When the sun rises, stake out the other stick along its shadow. Draw a line perpendicular to that one.

Voila! True north.

The definition of "north (or south)" is "the direction that is perpendicular to the planet's rotation." Since the sun goes straight across the sky as the planet rotates, it's easy to find a straight east-west line using no technology. And it doesn't take an Einstein to find a right angle to that line.

Every cub scout knows that one!

So the "OMG! IT'S ALIGNED TO TRUE NORTH!" crew has gotten so caught up in the "it's UNEXPLAINABLE!" hype and failed to stop and ask themselves if it's really all that inexplicable.

Do post more pics! I always wanted to go, too.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Dang, Byrd...facts AND sarcasm !!! I'm in love !

"True" North, found by aligning the sun is kind of off. True North is magnetic based. Solar North varies. ( ducks whatever Byrd throws)

Just my two cent,

Lex

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
never mind

[edit on 2006/2/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Your friend is so lucky I have always wanted to go to Machu Picchu the place is amazing. When I saw this thread about pics from Machu Picchu I was expecting something like this though.

pic

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   
OMG...to actually see that landscape...one day...
I made my "ascend Tikaboo, see A51 dream" come true. One day, South America.

Lex

[edit on 9-2-2006 by Lexion]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Trying not to hijack the thread, but very curious...

The question is mainly directed at Byrd - as she has my respect for being well informed on these topics - but anyone can give it a shot...

Where did direction originate?
For as long as man has been around he (and she) has been using the 4 wind directions or planetary directions, i.e. North, West, South, East. When was the "directions" first "discovered"? We see that many ancient civilizations had exactly the same ideas about direction and where North, South, etc. is.
Why does North play the biggest role in direction, and not East - where the sun rises (which would have greater importance for "primitive civilizations")?
Was direction ever used for anything other than travel?

OK, it's maybe a simplification of a very complex study, but I'm sure the question(s) is clear...?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
When I saw this thread about pics from Machu Picchu I was expecting something like this though.

There are 100's like that, i gave him my sony 1GIG memory stick to take on the trip. There are like 4 CD worth of photos of the Machu Picchu remains, i will post the better ones over the weekend for you guys

[edit on 10-2-2006 by helium3]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Boy oh Boy are you lucky human ...lol..I'm green with envy ... well..not totally geran, but green enough.

Great pics.. wants more !!!!

I know this is a litle different subject, but i would still like someone to tell me how those stones where carried up there ??? nowadasy we can't do hald of that without machinary help??

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have actually read that it would be easier to built a skyscraper in the mountains that it would be to recreate these ruins.

There are actually tons of ruins in Peru with construction methods still a complete mystery all these years later. I work with a Peruvian lady and she has lots and lots of photos of the ancient ruins, but none digital, so I cant post any.

I need a scanner.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I guess if we think outside of the box (meaning Earth) it would be alitle more possible ??? I really can't gasp the idea of people carrying stones up those hills, even if they head the help of wood logs, or mules or whatever else they could get their hands on...

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Feel free to have a look at my travels including Peru and Bolivia, www.pynylopys.place.cc (click on the Travel Bug section)

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The face

Does anyone else know anything about the image?

Is MACHU PICCHU ILLUSION OR REALITY - true or false?

top topics

join