It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS's paradox

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
>Wow, you realize by blocking ads, pop ups, etc that you're cutting off ATS's only source of money?
>Thanks for the support!

From this, it's pretty obvious that "you're" means "you are" which is pointing at me. Also "thanks for the support" is obviously directed at me and supports the first statement.
Uhhh...Actually, there are more people participating in this thread, and Keen wasn't the second poster. If he had been addressing someone specific (he wasn't), it could have been you, Burgess, alternateheaven, Beachcoma, Zion Mainframe, or SportyMB.

However, as you quoted, he stated exactly who "you" is. "You" are the individuals who are blocking ads, pop ups, etc.

You were talking to me directly, but don't worry - I wasn't offended.
Obviously...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
cmdrkeenkid:

Well, I was right once again

I purposely left out something in my original reponse to you to see what response I would get and to see how your mind works. I predicted your response EXACTLY BTW. I knew you would come back and say "you're" can be addressed to everyone etc etc

Your original response was very well thought out but you forgot one thing. You said:

"Yes, you suggested blocking the ActiveX ones, but others mentioned blocking more ads."

Well, in actual fact, up to that point, they DIDN'T (in the context of reducing revenue - as you also mentioned in the same line BTW, so don't come back with "oh, I meant "blocking" in general via pop-up blockers etc)

So, you see, you have been sprung

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
junglejake:

Blocking ads on one's system does not reduce the revenue of ATS...and that was cmdrkeenkid's problem.

I thought that was obvious?

Anyhow, the issue here is security - lets' not get diverted with this "diversion".

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Jumpspace, you have to realize this comes up very often and was headed in that direction as a result of your statements. The mods come down hard, and rightly so, on people who demand all the benefits of ATS as a public service that the Three Amigos pay for out of their own pockets because, for some reason, they owe it to those people.

You predicted Keen's response EXACTLY? Why do you think that was?

Aaaaaand stick a fork in me, I'm done with this, too. If you want to continue to play "gotcha" with Keen, explaining to him what he meant, go ahead. I'm sure everyone on the boards will respect you a lot more as a result.

EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot the

[edit on 2/8/06/08 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
junglejake:

>Jumpspace, you have to realize this comes up very often and was headed in that direction as a result of your statements.

Sorry, I didn't realize security issues re ActiveX and SSL comes up often - my aplogies. Maybe *I* should have done more research first

>I'm sure everyone on the boards will respect you a lot more as a result.

Not looking for respect in the virtual world - have it in the real world.

>EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot the

LOL

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Blocking ads on one's system does not reduce the revenue of ATS...and that was cmdrkeenkid's problem.

What would make you say that? Of course it does.

This free site is ad-supported. Without the ads, there would be no ATS.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
SO:

I meant on your own personal computer, no the ATS computer

Out of curiosity, being a mod - do all the ActiveX ads on ATS use Flash/Shockwave or do some of them use their own proprietary ActiveX controls?

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

SO:

I meant on your own personal computer, no the ATS computer

What he means is if people block the ads, they dont click the links becasue they can't see the ads. Each click earns a certain amount of money and therfore keeps ats going financially

-J

[edit on 2-8-2006 by theshadowknows]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Friends, let me encourage you to just step back for a moment and observe your surroundings.

That's easy, right? You're at your computer, probably in your home, right?
Not entirely.

Via the internet, you are also in Simon Gray's place of business. Now, you might have guessed, if this is a place of business, surely some kind of business is being transacted here, or else ATS would go belly up.

I happen to be a member of a certain editorial journalists' website in addition to ATS. I pay 5 dollars a month for it, there are only 800 posting members, there is a 1500 character limit for posts, and the rule enforcement there is extremely strict- 2 strikes and you're banned. I will not be renewing my monthly subscription there.

Did you have any idea how good we've got it here?

But then how is it that ATS can provide us VASTLY more service- more content from more members- and not charge us a single dime?

Your end of the transaction is INCREDIBLY light- in fact it basically works on the honor system. All you've got to do is tollerate a few ads which I scarcely ever even notice. What's the worst that could happen- I mean the God-forbidden worst case scenario? You might see something you actually want and find yourself spending 10 bucks?

It's not as if you've got nuclear secrets on your computer. If you're security conscious and yet choose to be on the internet it is to be assumed that you keep your computer relatively free of sensitive information and keep adequate security in place.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so shocked, I mean this is a conspiracy site, but all this fuss is paranoia in the extreme.

ATS doesn't explicitly require you to expose yourself to the ads, or to click them, so do what helps you sleep soundly.

Please do not, however, make it your business to sway others, who are perfectly comfortable with the ad system, to take themselves out of the loop.

When it comes right down to it, blocking ads DOES cost ATS money. Ads wouldn't be worth paying for if they didn't generate commerce. A certain small percentage of people exposed to ads become interested in the advertised product and click the add.

You can never state with absolute certainty that you wouldn't do it, because for all you know tomorrow they might sell ad space to a company that makes your favorite product in the whole wide world, when you didn't even know that product was still being produced.

For every member you remove from the pool of ad viewers, either yourself or others who you influence, you cost ATS a certain amount of money- a trivial sum in and of itself, but a very significant sum when you realize that each individual member is part of a community of roughly 65K registered members, and GOD KNOWS how many more unregistered viewers (note that there are often 5 times as many non-logged in visitors here as there are registered members).

Last but not least, for crying out loud, get off Cmdr's back- and yes, this last sentence is EXCLUSIVELY addressed to the only person in this forum who doesn't know how to pluralize the word "you"- the rest of this post is for him and others as well.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Personally I'm not paranoid about anyone *out there* getting anything off my hard drive etc... (my issue of personal privacy on my comupter is in my actual physical environment, which is why I added my point to this thread...not that anyone noticed
)

but on the issues of ads...hell, everybody should be clicking on them just because the action finanices their addiction.

But hey what do I know?...I PAY for my DOWNLOADED MUSIC as well.

You support what you love-you don't steal it/pirate it/abuse it or you'll eventually lose it-or the quality you expect

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join