It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poineer spacecrafts are slowing down....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
www.planetary.org...

Interesting read.......the spacecrafts are actually slowing down and scientists don't know why......

[edit on 2-2-2006 by ferretman2]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Here's a really good thread that discussed this about half a month ago:

The Pioneer Anomaly

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Maybe I'm just dense, or maybe everyone else is - but shouldn't they be slowing down? I mean, the amount of gravimetric strength behind them would be way more powerful than the gravimetric strength ahead of them, no? In this case, gravity should be pulling them back to our solar system - like a kind of comet (say Hale-Bopp) which only enters our solar system once every thousand years or more.

I think I would be more distressed if the spacecraft were SPEEDING UP - because that would indicate a sizable mass ahead of it which could fall under the category of planet - like a dark gas giant (so far that we can't see the light reflected off it)... although perhaps not very giant. It would be a most interesting find.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Maybe I'm just dense, or maybe everyone else is - but shouldn't they be slowing down? I mean, the amount of gravimetric strength behind them would be way more powerful than the gravimetric strength ahead of them, no?

You are correct that gravity would have less of an effect as the pioneer craft get further away from the solar system. What has scientists baffled is that current gravitational theory cannot explain the rate at which they are slowing. Either gravity is misunderstood by scientists or some other force(s) are acting on the pioneer probes, such as radiation, undiscovered bodies of mass, or that sort of thing. Perhaps the probes have been crashing into small particles of dust and rock (more than anticipated) slowing them down? Bottom line is, scientists aren't sure (yet) but I look forward to the explanation when they find it; it will probably be quite interesting.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The good news is at this point the space craft are still expected to stay above excape volisty .
To leave the solor system.

new topics

top topics

join