It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird dream/phsychological phenomenon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Can somebody help me?

I have had two "episodes", I guess you could call them that, wherein I am lying in bed just about to fall asleep and something happens. I'm not sure if these are dreams, or a phsychological phenomenon.

The first time, months ago, I saw a bright light through the blinds in my window, the room kind of shifts(like when you're drunk), and a feeling of paralysis came over me. I could kind of move(twitch, move eyes/mouth), but I can't speak, yell, or do anything else. My girlfriend was next to me, and I could see her move and look at me when I tensed/paniced. When she shook me I snapped out of it.

The second time, last night, the same thing happened. The room shifted, but there was no light. This time there was a buzzing sound, accompanied by that tingly sensation you get when your are/leg falls asleep.(only all over my body) This time my girlfriend was not there. My eyes were open, and I could've swore I slowly rolled myself off the bed(to shock myself out of it), but just as I hit the floor(and I felt it, I think) my eyes opened again and I was still in the bed, parylized. It faded out after a while, but the tingly sensation stayed for a few moments.

The first time my girlfriend says my eyes were open, and I swear they were the second time too. I was starting to think the first one might have been a dream/hallucination when I was in that state right before sleep, but after a second one, I think I may need some help.

Any thoughts guys & gals? I really need some on this one. Or could someone at least point me in the direction of a professional who can help.(e-mail address, phone #, mailing address)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
-joehayner

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Your astral projecting/OBE(out of body experience) do search on the ATS board for astral projection or OBE and youll be able to find out more info on what your experiencing.

EDIT: Theres also a thread titled 'conscious Oobe....It's Real!!' over in the 'Paranormal studies' forum which you might want to check out.

[edit on 25/1/06 by Clarky]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Are you sure? The only time I felt like I went anywhere was when I tried to roll out of bed. The rest was all 'buzzy', and I couldn't move.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have out of body experiences fairly often and what you describe above are the first stages just before your able to concously leave your body.

The next time you get this paralysis feeling where you cant move, close your eyes and mentally imagine yourself sitting up and stepping out of your body.. with a bit of practice you'll be able to.

It sounds like youve already done this though when you mentioned you rolled out your body and hit the floor.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If what you're saying is right, and I am having OBE,(not on purpose, mind you) doesn't it scare the hell out of you? My god, I shook for a good fifteen minutes after last night.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
you also described what happens when you have a certain type of brain tumor ever see the movie phenomenon.

in the movie he hears a loud buzing sound, and sees lights, and also becomes paralized when it happens he onlt sees this afew times before he finds out that he has a tumor, the movie may be fictional but the type of brain tumor in it is real and does cause thoes symptoms.

the lights and sounds are caused when the tumor is growing and puts pressure on the visial and audio parts of the brain.

I would suggest seeing a doctor especialy if you have been frequent expieriencing headaches.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   
If you were shaking for 15 minutes then i'd agree with Salanthus and you should go check with a doctor just to be on the safe side.

take care

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I wasn't shaking literally. I was 'shook up'. Ya know, freaked out.

And I do believe I can count the number of headaches I'v had in my life on one hand.(none recent)

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
you still may want to have it checked out just to be sure the doctors would have a better idea as to what if anything may be the problem

also if their is nothing medical wrong then you can cross that off the worry list

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
now then, this is my first post, I found this thread when I was searching for phsychological phenomenon.
what you are experiencing is not OBE, not that I dont belive in that kind of thing, however from what you describe you are experiencing what is commonly known as sleep paralysis and it can be quite anoying however it is not harmful in any way
here is a website with some basic information about the disorder, hopefully you will find this useful.

www.stanford.edu...

I can tell you from experience that it is not a fun thing to experience, personally I experience this mostly when I try and fall asleep flat on my back. I also experience the “Hag Phenomena” where I can feel a weight present on my chest and it makes it quite hard to breath. I have been researching this for quite some time now and I can tell you that:
1. the best you can hope for is to lessen how often you get episodes
2. unless they are happening on a weekly basis for more than six months than you do not need medication
3. there are steps you can take on the website I listed to minimize your chances of having another episode.

as for the OBE thing, I belived that origionally as well, but belive me now you are not having and OBE you are having hallucinations. the light you saw was a hallucination just like rolling out of the bed.

well I have ranted for long enough but I saw your post and I remembered my battle with this problem, just thought you might like some information and to know there are other people out there with the same problem

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by joehayner
Can somebody help me?

I have had two "episodes", I guess you could call them that, wherein I am lying in bed just about to fall asleep and something happens. I'm not sure if these are dreams, or a phsychological phenomenon.

The first time, months ago, I saw a bright light through the blinds in my window, the room kind of shifts(like when you're drunk), and a feeling of paralysis came over me. I could kind of move(twitch, move eyes/mouth), but I can't speak, yell, or do anything else. My girlfriend was next to me, and I could see her move and look at me when I tensed/paniced. When she shook me I snapped out of it.

The second time, last night, the same thing happened. The room shifted, but there was no light. This time there was a buzzing sound, accompanied by that tingly sensation you get when your are/leg falls asleep.(only all over my body) This time my girlfriend was not there. My eyes were open, and I could've swore I slowly rolled myself off the bed(to shock myself out of it), but just as I hit the floor(and I felt it, I think) my eyes opened again and I was still in the bed, parylized. It faded out after a while, but the tingly sensation stayed for a few moments.

The first time my girlfriend says my eyes were open, and I swear they were the second time too. I was starting to think the first one might have been a dream/hallucination when I was in that state right before sleep, but after a second one, I think I may need some help.

Any thoughts guys & gals? I really need some on this one. Or could someone at least point me in the direction of a professional who can help.(e-mail address, phone #, mailing address)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
-joehayner

I have had several experiences where my whole body feels like its plugged into the wall socket, complete buzzing going on, and most times it feels like I am still in the same area, in one I saw my roomate come home but he didnt see me etc... another time I was laying on the couch at home and I felt this come over me and on the ceeling of the room I saw several numbered statements and 2 of them turned blood red and when they did that the buzzing got stronger. Every time I have experienced this the next day I am simply drained and I have yet to get a good explination as to what occured.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have to agree with Tanen, this sounds a lot like sleep paralysis. I used to experience this occasionally when I was younger and it can be quite startling. However, this is a reasonably well-documented psychological phenomenon and, in itself, doesn't represent a threat to your physical or mental health.

More info at: en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join