It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Delays/ Cancelations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ah the lovely, quirky state of Pennsylvania.

Ah the backwards, lunatic city of Allentown.

A week or so ago, there was a threat of some freezing rain to come in the afternoon. The weather radar showed it tucked away in Ohio somewhere, and children in the city went to school as usual. Around 9:30-10AM, some dolt looked at the radar and said "ya know, this might pose a problem." (It was supposed to change to rain quickly) Being of ?sound? minds, the School Bored (mis-spelling intended) decided to close the schools and send the kiddies home. At 11:00. Okaaaaaay.

What happened, you ask?

It rained. That's right, my kids went home because it RAINED.

Here it is today, an ugly Monday morning where snow/sleet/freezing rain has been coming down all night. I stayed up late yesterday morning because I took a luxurious Monday morning off of work. I was looking forward to no kiddies, just quiet. So at 3AM, I was watching the precipitation. I took my friend home at 3:30AM. There was a 1/4" of snow on the ground, and at the time, it was raining.

I figured I was good to go.

DENIED

Oh noooooo....once again, the School Bored decides to take proactive action. 2 hour delay! Ooooh...watch out! There's some of that there snow on the ground!

COME ON!

I am "only" 30 years old. I remember walking to school in sub-zero temperatures, getting sent home when there is already 3" of snow on the ground, 2 hour delays for 4" of snow etc. Not because "there is the chance that we may possibly get some sort of inclement weather." I watch the news, and I have yet to hear (for this city/region only) of school buses hanging off of bridges, laying in a ditch, or even in minor fender benders because fo driving in slippery conditions. It is ludicrous that I have to squander precious educational time just for the sake that Little Johnny Boo Hoo might slip on his way to school.

I would think (I'm sure there's proof somewhere) that kids have a bigger chance of getting injured outside of school playing in the snow than walking to school in it.

ARGH! More coffee, please (and no more 3AM giggle-fests with my best friend when it's snowingoutside on a school day).

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Rouschkateer,

Just a few hours south of you ... think civil war. We had the same thing here awhile back. Weather folks were calling for possible substantial accumulation, Sunday night into Monday a.m., so the school superintendent cancelled school for Monday, this was still Sunday evening.

Guess what? Monday morning rolls around and zip, nada, zilch! It so happened that we got absolutely nothing. It just happened to be the other, of every other Monday that my wife has off after a long weekend. Most often this is the only time we have truly to ourselves. You know... no kids, no work, just us!

'twas quite the stick-in-the-works, to say the least :shk:

Anyway, enough of my ranting

Have a nice day!

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
It just happened to be the other, of every other Monday that my wife has off after a long weekend. Most often this is the only time we have truly to ourselves. You know... no kids, no work, just us!

'twas quite the stick-in-the-works, to say the least :shk:

I feel your pain.

They finally went off to school, but what is the point of going back to bed? I'm up now, and I have my graduation ceremony tonight. On 5 hours of sleep.

I understand there needs to be caution because idiots can't drive in incement weather anymore, or because someone might slip (in our city, it is a city ordinance to have all snow/ice/slush removed within 6 hours of the precipitation ceasing. So wouldn't it be the homeowner's fault if Johnny slipped on his way to school, and have nothing to do with the School Board?) but it is ridiculous. I have maybe a 1/4" of slop on my sidewalk. I am completely baffled.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
With regards to the seemingly inept method of the closing/cancellation decisions, not long after that incident we had quite the opposite. The weather folks weren't really calling for much the night before so Monday morning, with an inch+, and still snowing, it was off to school with no delay. You guessed it, the snow kept falling through the morning and into the afternoon. There was no early dismissal and by the time the kids got home the roads were covered, and driving conditions weren't too good either. I just had to laugh.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if the next decision is heads or tails!

new topics

top topics

join