It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yummy fast Peanut Brittle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Microwave Peanut Brittle

You can use your favorite nut in this quick and easy peanut brittle; cashews are good, so are macadamia nuts. Use your imagination
If you use macadamia nuts I recommend chopping them slightly.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 cups salted peanuts
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. baking soda

Variation of the above is to substitute white sugar and use Karyo syrup in place of the brown sugar and Maple syrup.

PREPARATION:
I recommend a 1000 watt microwave although you can use a 700 watt just as well.

In 8-cup microwave safe glass measuring cup with a handle (this is important, so you don't burn yourself), combine sugar and syrup. Stir real good.

Microwave, uncovered, on high power for 5 minutes. I like to stop at 3 minutes and stir slightly then finish the next two minutes, but you can experiment to see if you like it better. I tend to think the sugar and syrup liquefies better, but that is just me.

Remove from oven using a glove to protect your hand, and stir in peanuts.
Microwave this mixture, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes on high until syrup is bubbling all over the surface and the nuts are toasted. This syrup is very hot; be very careful!!
Stir in the butter, then microwave uncovered for 1 more minute.

Remove from microwave and stir in baking soda quickly and thoroughly. The mixture will foam up (this is the reason you have to use a large measuring cup). Quickly pour the candy mixture into a unsalted buttered 9 x 13 pan with sides. Shake pan to level the mixture out or use the variation I mention below.

Cool candy for 1 hour at room temperature, until hard. Break into pieces and store in airtight container. Makes 2 pounds candy

Some people Preheat their oven to 200 degrees F. and Butter a large 9 x 13 cookie sheet with sides, using unsalted butter; place cookie sheet in oven to melt butter and keep warm. allegedly it helps to spread the brittle, however I seldom have any real problems so again experiment and use the method that suits you best.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Are the peanuts raw?

If not, how do they taste after being cooked (already being cooked, that is)?

From my experience using pre-cooked/roasted nuts isn't a good idea. They taste crappy being cooked twice and need to be raw.

That aside, I may have to try this.

I love making candy

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Are the peanuts raw?

If not, how do they taste after being cooked (already being cooked, that is)?

From my experience using pre-cooked/roasted nuts isn't a good idea. They taste crappy being cooked twice and need to be raw.

Just had to check with my wife and she says all our nuts come raw with the exception of macadamia nuts from Hawaii which could possibly be raw, I am not sure to be honest on the macadamia nuts though. I assumed they were the same the world over?? Just to clarify I was not talking roasted peanuts, I was refering to the shelled spanish peanuts, peacans, walnuts etc you buy in bags.

Your answer though would be raw and if the Macadamias are cooked they taste just fine.

Just checked their website and the Macadamia nuts are dry roasted which I did not know, but they are not cheap

Macadamia Nuts

That is the brand we use. I think you can find vendors through out the world.

We love to make candy also. I think we used 100 lbs of chocolate this past christmas, that should give you an idea of how much we make.

new topics

join