It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

game designing texture questions? help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Me and my friend are just getting into game design, sort of. He's just making a map and has asked me for help designing textures for the floors, walls, ceiling, and sky. It's for an independant game similar to quake two and he's asked if i can do textures (presumably because i'm an artistic fellow) for him. so If anyone here has a lot of experiance with this type of stuff I'd appreciate a bit of advice.

I have already done a prelimainary search for these textures on google and thus far have found mostly hi res textures.
anyway somewhat of a helping hand would be great.
If anybody is interested in helping as well give me a u2u and we'll see how this project starts going. This is not a job it's a hobby!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
sure thing dude

go download those hi-res textures, then use them to make a square textures like 1024x1024. Next make the textures tileable, meaning use a photoshop filter called offset (filter/other/offset) and use it to offset the texture for lets say 300 pixels on x and y. Now you will get two hard edges on your texture which you need to get rid of. Use your painting skills and clone/brush/paint tools to make those two lines blend with the rest of the picture so the player wont see the seams. With little practice you will get a square, tileable texture. Now scale it down to desired size (for older engines its probably 256x256, 128x256,128x128 or in that range, optimize for size of objects) and there you go.

no time to help though...

[edit on 24-1-2006 by nukunuku]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
yeah my friend said something about 64 by 64.
I haven't played with enough of these programs to pick up on any of the jargo so I'll have to talk to him again.

join