It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me about Fort Myers FLA.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I'm thinking of transferring there..
Should I stay, or should I go..
I live in Northern Nevada now..

Is it a nice place? people friendly? that kind of thing..

Thanks in advance....!

Space

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Northern Nevada hmm?

I grew up in southern Idaho. I also lived in Florida (Tampa Bay area) for about seven years.

Ft. Myers is nice enough-- it's very hot and very humid, so it'd be a huge change, but if you like that sort of thing (as I do) it should be fine. Central and southern Florida reminds me in a lot of ways of southern California-- it's a great place to live, but the problem is that there are so many people who think it's a great place to live, and too many of them don't or won't work, so you have to get used to locking your car every time you walk away from it, and don't count of keeping a nice car stereo for long. It's not so bad in Ft. Myers specifically (which is only a medium-sized city), but it's still worse than it is anywhere around you. Well-- if you're currently in Elko, then it's about the same...

Honestly, the people are very nice-- even the ones that'll climb up to a third story balcony to steal your bicycle (no kidding-- that really happened to me).

So-- if you can handle petty crime, heat, humidity, enormous prehistoric-looking insects, tourists, alligators, retirees and transplanted midwesterners, you'll be fine. The cost of living is pretty good and the Gulf of Mexico is gorgeous.

Thomas Edison had a winter residence in Ft. Myers, for whatever that's worth.

I left Florida 12 years ago, and I threaten to move back every winter. I loved it there, but, like George Bailey, I've grown roots here now and it just seems that I can't quite get away...

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Bob LaoTse]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Iv'e spent a fair amount of time on the Fla. Gulf coast and it is a bit crowded for my tastes. But the fishing is world class, beaches nice, helps to speak Spanish and a general southern laidback lifestyle. Lots of Country music, and sea food.

Like Bob said, It will be a culture shock from the high desert but Costal living along the Gulf of Mexico CAN BE a wonderful experience.

If you can get into fishing, boats and drinking beer it will be paradice.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks you two..
Nice information.
Anyone else like to chime in?

HIgh Crime and Great Fishing...(flipping coin)..

I just submitted for the transfer. It would really be a big change for us..

top topics

join