It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fingerprint And Eye Identification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Fingerprint and eye indentification has been being used for years. Just like in movies when they use there fingerprint to get into buildings (like Minority Report or Gattaca).

Eye Identification are used at some airports:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Fingerprints to get in your house:
www.smarthome.com...

They also have this kind of ID for internet acsess:
ala.org.../ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=94750

How long will it be untill this stuff is used everywhere? What other stuff are you going to need this identifictation to do? In the future when it becomes more used you'll need it to get in buildings, like where you work. How long before all airports are using it? I could see the police with some sort of machine they use (like when they pull you over in your car) where you use your fingerprint or eye to prove who you are (instead of just licence).

There are also hospital that use this kind of ID:
www.eweek.com...

As well as banks:
www.findbiometrics.com...

Some police stations use it to. There are a lot of places that use this ID (some places for quit a few years). So it probably wont be to long before they are using it everywhere. How long will it be?

[edit on 13-1-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This just in from the Kansas City Star

www.kansascity.com...

"If you are stopped by police in Kansas, don’t be surprised if the officer pulls out a little black box and takes your fingerprints."

The gadget allows officers to identify people by fingerprints without hauling them to the police station"

How considerate.
Oh course why would you need your fingerprints taken if you just run a stop
sign?

"Prints scanned in the field will not be stored"

Of course not. How could they even mention such a thing?
Were not in Kansas anymore, toto!!

[edit on 23-3-2006 by fortean]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My biggest concern is the ownership and privacy regarding biometric data. Do you "own" the pattern of blood vessels in your eyes? And having collected this data, do private companies have the right to sell it to anyone else without your consent? These kinds of questions keep me up at night.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A lot of grocery stores are integrating pay by fingerprint systems in the Chicago area. You link up a credit or debit card to your finger print and can buy stuff without a wallet.

I also have a finger print scanner to access my computer at work because...Well, because I'm a dork. The eye scans I think will take longer to be accepted by the public just because of how important eyesight it. The finger printing, though, is becoming cheap and easy to do, so I suspect we can expect to see a lot more applications of this technology.

EDIT: The cop thing using fingerprints is just a faster way of doing what they do anyway. When they take your drivers liscense back to their car after pulling you over for whatever, they're checking your record. The fingerprint ID would just ensure you're not using someone else's liscense who looks a lot like you. It's harder to fake fingerprints than it is to steal someone's liscense who looks like yourself.

[edit on 3/23/06/23 by junglejake]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have some enormous problems with this technology. Fingerprints have already been faked with great ease and this includes the so called "live" fingerprint scanners. Look up the name Tsutomu Matsumoto to find varies news stories about how he did that. It is remarkably easy. I have heard iris scans can be faked but i am still looking for that story, no doubt retinas will be tricked as well eventually.

Oh and in gattaca they didn't take fingerprints, it was his DNA they took at the scanner, that's what the whole film was about.

new topics

top topics

join