It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Vault

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
From a non-conspiritorial point of view its sort of realist isnt it? I mean lets face it we do posses nukes. What I cant quit thinking about it is the part where it says incase of rising sea levels. Isnt it on an island. Ok we get nuked or ice caps melt or whatever how are the stragling remnants of society supposed to get to these seeds? I mean everyone knows how to operate submarines right?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
From a non-conspiritorial point of view its sort of realist isnt it? I mean lets face it we do posses nukes. What I cant quit thinking about it is the part where it says incase of rising sea levels. Isnt it on an island. Ok we get nuked or ice caps melt or whatever how are the stragling remnants of society supposed to get to these seeds? I mean everyone knows how to operate submarines right?

No worries, Svalbard got some fairly elevated parts way above sealevel even if the caps melted twice.

The whole thing is just such a nobel idea, considering the modern way of life in the scandinavian countries i find it too nobel actually. Either it´s a stunt in order to get goodwill or there´s somthing else behind it. Been browsing through the websites of the major norwegian papers and i can´t find anything. Now that´s weired...

posted on Jun, 20 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
the only way to avert famine through blunders is the localisation of food production, ie. no centralised seed prodction and distribution, smaller units, many people with knowledge and access to crop seeds.

famine through natural catastrophies otoh, would be inevitable, storing old seeds is a good idea, but actually planting them and keeping the required practices and, to a lesser extent, traditions alive is the only way to ensure survival of, well - pretty much anything.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

The final design for a "doomsday" vault that will house seeds from all known varieties of food crops has been unveiled by the Norwegian government.

Pointing out what the above poster said.

"If you design a facility to be used in worst-case scenarios, then you cannot actually have too much dependency on human beings."

Artist Impression.

Source.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I wonder how useful the "Doomsday" global seed vault will be if there are no bees. Or maybe they don't need bees?

Disappearing Bees Threads Index

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
More news on the norway doomsday vault here:

Doomsday Vault - December 27, 2007

Deep in Norway's frozen Svalbard archipelago sits a high-tech facility that could save the world.

If global catastrophes like asteroid impacts or disease pandemics were to strike, seeds stored in this first ever "doomsday" vault would ensure that humans could regrow the crops needed for survival.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Thats a good point about no bees. Hmmmm Perhaps what they are not telling us about is the genetic samples of animals and perhaps people they are preserving. I mean why stop with seeds. And it not being mainstream media makes sense, they dont want to upset the alarmists.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
What's striking me right off the bat is that they are storing heritage seeds.

Perhaps we don't need a global catastrophe beyong the fact that something has gone horribly wrong with all the gmo crops and it's contamination of everything else out there, and at some point, maybe we're going to have to wipe out the food supply and restart it to undo the damage.

Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well thats a frightening thought, good point! I didnt think of that. Didnt they already have some problems with gmc contaminating crops and not finding out until the crops were sold?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join