It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Starts Selling Intel-Powered Macs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Apple unveiled a new laptop and iMac sporting Intel microprocessors, several months before expected:

ABC News

SAN FRANCISCO Jan 10, 2006 — Apple Computer Inc.'s historic shift to Intel microprocessors came months earlier than expected as CEO Steve Jobs debuted personal computers based on new two-brained chips from the world's largest semiconductor company.

The company's stock shot to a 52-week high as Tuesday's news coincided with word on impressive holiday sales numbers for Apple's hugely popular iPod music players.

The first Macs to deploy Intel Corp.'s Core Duo processors will be the latest iMac desktop, whose circuitry is all built into the slim display, and the all-new MacBook Pro laptop.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow

My G4 is getting awfully long in the tooth, I want to get one soon!

Apple Computer

[edit on 1/10/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
As an avid Mac user, I too and curoius about the new chips. They claim to be faster. 2-4 times faster. But, I would wait until a few hundred have been purchased to see if ther is any problem with them. New chips, new board, new software. I wonder if there is a different version of the OS. It says they ship with Tiger, but probably a different tiger.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The OS is exactly the same, just compiled for a different target processor. I had high hopes initially for the PPC architecture, but it's just been languishing recently. I think Apple made the right decision by moving to the Intel chips.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
They made that move pretty quick.
It was only about six months ago that they confirmed they were making the switch.

Apple to switch to Intel chips?

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I will wait until the top graphis apps are universal binaries Photoshop, Maya, etc) I also have a G4 that is getting slower and slower. I recommend watching the new AD is well so Apple

Apple new Intel ad

top topics

join