It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS-2 Project Raven Concept Design Phase

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I'm going to try to get around to an updated Raven sketch soon.

Just bumping up the thread.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The fueslage is too short for that configuration unless we are taking a low speed short duration observation plane.

at close to mach speed you are going to loss most of the lift from the front of your delta because of the wake from the nose.

Your AC might flight straight but try a high speed AOA jog and you might find your placne dropping a few hundred feet in the turn, not the most ideal of situations especially considering your large intakes which could cause a flame out due to the sudden loss in elevation in a turn.

Leaving this airframe to pull half roll inside turns at full power to be able manauver around with at least a modest amount of "agility". Driving up fuel consumption rates.

Kind of the primary reason the delta never really made it as a fighter design without lot and lots and lots of engineering time.

Loook at the Grippen with the forward delta and compound delta main wing.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well here is my addition for the Second Raven, any Input?

external image

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I don't know if it will fit with your vision/goals for the project, but maybe you can use thrust reversers for STOL. That would be a big help for landing at smaller bases and hidden locations during war times.

Just my $.02!

Tim

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
How would I be able to revamp my design to support reverse thrusters? I Don't seem to know of any CTOL aircraft that support reverse thrusters.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The Panavia Tornado has thrust reversers, as do all large airliners from Boeing and Airbus as well as business jets . In fact they are fairly common on CTOL planes.

sitemaker.umich.edu...

news.bbc.co.uk...

examples of three types;

[edit on 7-2-2006 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Waynos I am quite aware that most large aircraft such as Airliners and cargo transports are equipped with Reverse Thrusters, my post was misleading, what i meant was CTOL Fighter Aircraft with thrust reversers. But that picture of the fighter(albeit it's not a true fighter, but you get the idea) with reverse thrusters does intrigue me, I wouldn't know where to start with that on my design.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 7-2-2006 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Heres a clearer view of the Tornado installation.

It should be relatively simple to incorporate it on your design as it involves two 'petals' or curved plates mounted one above and one below each engine laying flush on the airframe ahead of the nozzle. The are then brought around the nozzle on actuators to meet behaind the aircraft when deployed as you will be able to deduce from the two photos.

However, although I have supplied this info I am not entirely convinced it would be a good idea. The question that occurs to me, you see, is 'as it is a feature of the Tornado, why is it not also a feature of the Typhoon?' I don't know the answer, but there must be a reason.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I remember when I first found out about these installations in my flight simulator. I couldn't stop using them...
however I was surprised that the Tornado has an installation like that too... So again I learned someting new... I thank you again Waynos...

<< 1   >>

join