It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Tanganyika ´s shaking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

August 13, 2003:
Lake Tanganyika is large and deep, filling the chasm of a rift valley bordering the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Zambia and Burundi. An ecosystem unto itself, the lake supports many types of fish.
...The fish supplies have diminished...

The researchers measured lake water temperatures, along with air temperatures and wind velocities, and compared data to equivalent records from the past eight decades...

Temperatures have increased 0.6 degrees Celsius in the air above the lake, with a proportional increase in the water temperature, while wind velocities have decreased.
Source Mongabay

Almost 3 years later, today, Lake Tanganyika Region, Congo- Tanzania
has been hit by a 5.1 earthquake.

Isn´t it interesting?

Furthermore, it is not the first time. According to my investigations, the Lake has been suffering from quakes, for instance, not long ago:

December 2005, magnitude 6.3 - 6.8

Am I wrong or are there a few volcanoes around?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo

Am I wrong or are there a few volcanoes around?

Well I don't think there is any calderas near the congo region? I did find this link though. Apparently mount Nyiragongo (a volcano in the Congo region) errupted, destroying the city of Goma:

archives.cnn.com...

**Edit: Sorry that link is a few years old (2002). I also found out it errupted in 96 as well. So perhaps this activity is a prelude to yet another Nyiragongo eruption.

[edit on 073131p://9u37 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thank you for your answer Lucid Lunacy.

I have compared datas and found the following:

The Nyiragongo Volcano is situated in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire) and its location is 1.5S, 29.3E.

The quake we are talking about occured in the Lake Tanganyika Region, Congo- Tanzania with location: 6.154°S, 29.476°E

I am not sure that they can be connected, though I am sure that the increase in activity has to mean something, plate activity or volcanic activity.

join