It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA could prove executed man innocent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Virginia Governor Mark R Warner has ordered DNA evidence to be retested to determine if a man executed in 1992 was innocent.

If the testing shows Roger Keith Coleman did not rape and kill his sister-in-law in 1981, it will be the first time in the United States a person has been exonerated by scientific testing after his execution, according to death penalty opponents.

link

Well I sure hope that Coleman was guilty of murder because you can release a innocent man from jail but you cant bring someone back from the dead. If DNA proves that Coleman was innocent of murder a massive can of worms will be opened.
I cant see how the pro death penalty movement can have a viable defence against putting an innocent man to death.
Coleman family wont be happy to say the least Who will they sue?
The state government?

[edit on 6-1-2006 by xpert11]

[edit on 6-1-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The argument would be that the loss of a single innocent man is indeed tragic but that does nto mean that they are all innocent and the death penalty is viable form of punishment for the greater good and protection of our society.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It has to be assumed that innocent people are wrongly found guilty and executed.

Oddly tho, lots of pro-death penalty activists and supporters, like president bush when he was governor of texas, felt that everyone on death row really was guilty, and that there was no problem because there were no wrongful decisions.

Regardless, I can understand the rationale behind having a death penalty even when you know that some innocent people will be killed, but there is a big issue over using new genetic evidence in older cases. I can't understand making an issue of it. Its new, possibly compelling and decisive, evidence.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I see no problem with using it.. I think it is a good idea to use it personally. If for no other reason then to create more case history and solidify it's viability in active cases.

Yes, I remember Bush in Texas... I remember him mocking Carla Tucker when she was petitioning for a stay of execution. that was sickening... as much as I dislike mankind... and as much as you may believe someone guilty.. you don't mock something as serious as an execution...

top topics

join