It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piasecki X-49 hits funding trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Previously I was only aware of this design as a proposal based on the pathfinder concept that flew many years ago, I had no idea it was under construction at all, much less that it was the X-49.

Iam doubly surprised then to see this photo of the near complete X-49 demonstrator and to read at the same time that it has run out of money.

The aircraft was scheduled to fly in 2007 and it will be a real shame if it falls at the last hurdle, the project really looks to have potential for improving the speed and efficiency of the SH-60.

Flight International

edit ; please not that I am not drunk when I come on here, I need a new keyboard. True x

[edit on 3-1-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've never even heard of this. A replacement for the Seahawk, you say? Interesting. Is it going to have the same mission as the SH-60?

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hmm, I made thread about this concept too year ago (in early stage) -
piasecki VTDP concept
It was not yet designated X-49 at those times and the program was also concerned with Apache conversion back then... It looks like they made it working/at least for Seahawk. It would be pitty if they will be not able to finance it at least for SH-60 . The program really doesn't cost much, perhaps 10-15 milion $ per year, which is nothing compared to other military programs (like Osprey).
This concept is really quite interesting, because current helicopters can be upgraded instead of making new ones. One of the biggest advantages is that it uses the energy of rear rotor (15-30% of total engine output) instead of just wasting it.Also the desing is more reliable and less financially risky to research.

[edit on 3-1-2006 by longbow]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Your thread was probably where I first saw it Longbow, kudos.

That would also explain why I didn't know it was the X-49.

top topics

join