It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU will provide cameras to tape police (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The St. Louis chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has agreed to hand out video cameras to the cities north area residents for taping of police misconduct.

www.stltoday.co m
St. Louis police officers often say they feel as if people are looking over
their shoulders.

That feeling isn't likely to let up this year.

The local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, a frequent critic of
the city police, says it plans to arm residents of the city's north side with
video cameras to record officers' dealings with the public.

The activist group says the department often mistreats and unfairly targets
blacks and said it hopes the presence of cameras will act as a deterrent to
police abuse and result in smoother dealings between residents and police.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I just dont want to see every incident scrutinized by the public. Sure, officers can have a bad day and not be as polite as usual. However, I am ok with taping of "true" misconduct. I do not have any sympathy for someone who is tasered for failing to follow officers after the fifth command to comply. Someone beaten for no reason(someone following clear directions) is not ok with me.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by agwardlds]

[edit on 2-1-2006 by agwardlds]

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Well actually have you notices every time that police do something shameful of at least most of the time is always a citizens with a camera to record what they are doing first hand.

I wonder about the citizens been there in time.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Awww, whats the matter? The police dont like that, do they? They dont like someone watching their every move. But they do it. They dont like someone constantly waiting for them to "have a bad day", but if your late for work and are doin 40 in a 30, they'll nail you, wont they?

I wish I had one. I would just hold it the whole time they pulled me over. The power the police have is rediculous. They feel as if they have the right to pull over any car at any time, for any reason. Before you jump me, allow me to explain. I work nights and get home around 1 or 2 every night. I get pulled over almost once a week. No tickets.... Im not speeding. No DUIs... never have. I dont drink. All my lights work. They say things like " you swerved.. I was makin sure you werent drunk." yet no breatalizers are given. Hmmm.... Barney Fife has a little to much time on his hands? Ive even told them that I get stopped by them at least once a week. They just shrug it off, or look at me like "So? Talk again, and Ill search this car and keep you here for an hour"

I'm sick of the police going unchecked. We are not the enemy. I would love to have one of those cameras, and then just follow the cop around. The same one, his whole shift. Wonder how he'd like that.

join